newbie question about stabalization - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Yeah, I did it again, I had another brain "fart"...!

Now, the name Martin Pearson rung the bell immediately from an order that I had from my web-store recently but somehow, I forgot that the reason that order was initiated was that Martin was the winner of the July Introduction prize with his AU$25.00 gift voucher so, I should have remembered that but I didn't and I'm very sorry Martin, I knew my brain is getting very forgetful but this is just ridiculous, sorry mate.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thanks for all the replies, sorry about the delay in replying but not been to well so haven't been looking in.
George, no worries, got the blanks now thanks

I ended up cutting the lumps up into smaller pieces as was suggested, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, that's obviously inexperience for you

Not done anything with the small bits yet as looking at different options, cactus juice is quite expensive in the UK, I don't mind investing a bit in experimentation but like to try & do a bit of research before investing to much as I don't have a bottomless pit of money lol

Looked at the Hold Fast system & to be honest it is pretty much the same idea as any degassing chamber, their Vacuum bags are the same as a lot of other bags available. Their system doesn't seem to have a catchpot on the outlet side which surprised me, they use a venturi based Vacuum generator but the correct vac pump set up would do the same job.
martin pearson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin pearson View Post
Thanks for all the replies, sorry about the delay in replying but not been to well so haven't been looking in.
George, no worries, got the blanks now thanks

I ended up cutting the lumps up into smaller pieces as was suggested, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, that's obviously inexperience for you

Not done anything with the small bits yet as looking at different options, cactus juice is quite expensive in the UK, I don't mind investing a bit in experimentation but like to try & do a bit of research before investing to much as I don't have a bottomless pit of money lol

Looked at the Hold Fast system & to be honest it is pretty much the same idea as any degassing chamber, their Vacuum bags are the same as a lot of other bags available. Their system doesn't seem to have a catchpot on the outlet side which surprised me, they use a venturi based Vacuum generator but the correct vac pump set up would do the same job.
If you looked at the Hold Fast video I posted they did use a catchpot. Its part of their system and is just really a smaller chamber to do smaller items.

But you don't need their setup. You need vacuum (near 0 or -29 or however its measured) and something you can put your stuff into that sealed and can withstand the vacuum for maybe a few days.

I use mason jars, a quart and a half gallon one. I also have a wider mouthed smaller canister type jar from IKEA that I haven't gotten around to.

So far its the juice that costs the most.

But like I posted about bagging it will work as long as it doesn't crush your stuff. Like you couldn't do a hasp's nest.

Last edited by chartle; 10-24-2017 at 11:39 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Obviously different terminology Cliff, when doing carbon fibre work a catchpot would sit between the vacuum pump or generator in their case & the pot they use to stabilise the wood. When vacuum is drawn it prevents carry over of resin from reaching the vacuum pump.
They do say in the video to start drawing your vacuum slowly to prevent resin being sucked along the pipe to the vacuum generator, sorry it may not have been the video you linked to but another one as I watched a few of their videos

Still got a lot to learn about this but your saying you need to be able to maintain the vacuum for a couple of days, surely once all the air has been drawn out then your good to release the vacuum ? On the Hold Fast videos they only maintain it for a short period of time, think about 45 mins in the couple of videos I watched.

Maintaining the vacuum for a couple of days wouldn't be a problem, no leaks in my system so once the vacuum has been drawn I can isolate it & it will happily sit there far as long as required

Cactus juice is quite expensive in the UK so one thing I am doing is looking at alternatives, Looks like they use a Bio-Resin with the Hold Fast system which would be much cheaper for me

Last edited by martin pearson; 10-27-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Martin, you will find some pieces will take days to pull all of the air out, others only hours. You will have to leave the pump on until the bubbles stop. There is no reason to turn the pump off early. They are made to run continuously.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks Patrick, I did wonder if it had something to do with the rate that the air was expelled
Yes I could leave the pump on without doing it any harm although not all Vacuum pumps are rated for continuous running. I just don't see the point when there is no need to. If you don't have any leaks then once you have pulled your vacuum it should remain fairly constant even if isolated from the pump
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

It has been covered either here or the CJ website. I think the simple explanation is that the added air lowers the vac, slowing the process.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin pearson View Post
Thanks Patrick, I did wonder if it had something to do with the rate that the air was expelled
Yes I could leave the pump on without doing it any harm although not all Vacuum pumps are rated for continuous running. I just don't see the point when there is no need to. If you don't have any leaks then once you have pulled your vacuum it should remain fairly constant even if isolated from the pump
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
It has been covered either here or the CJ website. I think the simple explanation is that the added air lowers the vac, slowing the process.
Yes the air in wood is not going to all suck out pretty much instantaneously like in carbon fiber, it can sit there quite awhile while the air slowly works it way out through the tiny pores.

I also think in carbon fiber work you suck out all the air turn a valve to seal it and leave everything to cure. Stabilization is much slower since like I posted its can take a long time for the resin to get into the middle of the blank.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks Guys

Cliff yes if I am doing something like resin infusion once the resin has been sucked through the matting that is pretty much it as far as the vacuum goes & as you say the resin will reach the centre of any carbon fibre job pretty quickly

Patrick, I am sure it will have been covered on here before, I doubt I am asking anything that hasn't been asked before at some point, unfortunately I am not very good when it comes to searching forums for relevant information
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads