Need a Source for Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottb

I have been looking on this forum and no one really gives a good source for pressure pots. I am in the market for one, however, I don't want to spend $750 on it. Harbor Freight is out, don't really want to buy a grenade... So my question is anyone have a link or links to some trusted sources?

I found one on Artmolds, but it only goes to 50 PSI max for $200 (not sure of that would be good enough). In looking on Ebay, I see all these brands but have no idea what is good (TCP, etc.). I even went around today to five pawn shops looking to see if they had any to no avail.

With that, I am all ears....Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Mine is a Harbor Freight too and I haven't blown it up. And I really like to blow things up.

If the store is out order it online and deliver to the store to save the freight.

Scottb

I have read opposing thoughts on the HF PP. Is there anything I should look out for? Tips on setting it up? I would rather spend a little more on a good one. I'm just shaky on HF. And, does it require more components to set up for casting or is it ready out of the box?

Silverado

C.A. Technologies Pots

Hey Scott

Google Finish Systems and check out the CA technologies Pressure pots.

Tim

Scottb

I'm looking at them now. Look nice. Price is a little more than i wanted to spens, but it might be the ticket!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Scott,
I've been using the HF PP for 7 or 8 years now with no problems. Don't know what part of Houston you are in but if you want to drive to Pearland I'd be happy to show you my setup.

Silverado

I'm looking at them now. Look nice. Price is a little more than i wanted to spens, but it might be the ticket!

I guess It depends on what you value your life at.:rolleyes:LOL

J Michael

I have never been a fan of the HF pot because of the way the lid attaches, and a Binks just wasn't in the budget, so I kept looking and found a TCP Global 2.5 gal pot on Amazon. With the exception that the safety valve pops off at 50.1psi instead of 60 we have had no problems with it. And, the inner lining pot is a nice ti have just in case a mold springs a leak. We've been using it for a little over a year now and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

BSea

I have never been a fan of the HF pot because of the way the lid attaches, and a Binks just wasn't in the budget, so I kept looking and found a TCP Global 2.5 gal pot on Amazon. With the exception that the safety valve pops off at 50.1psi instead of 60 we have had no problems with it. And, the inner lining pot is a nice ti have just in case a mold springs a leak. We've been using it for a little over a year now and I'm happy with it.
Is the inside bottom flat? I have a Sears pot (no longer available), and have been thinking of getting a 2nd pot just for the times when I have a lot to pour. But I'd like one with a flat bottom if possible.

low_48

Don't you think that most all import pressure pots come from the same factory? Just because you buy one from another source than Harbor Freight, doesn't mean you are buying better quality. I'm talking about the same price range. Of course you get better quality for more money.

Last edited:

Marko50

conventional paint pot an 20 foot long new air hoses

Or, the Harbor Freight pressure pot works just fine as long as you aren't pushing the limits.

To each their own.

This link for a Binks pressure pot for only $90.00 is the steal of the century! Are you kidding me??:eek: All you would need to do is have it sand blasted and it will be and look as good as new. That's what I did and I've never regretted it. I never worry about loading up a pressurized bomb and my local valve company helped me get the valve issue all modified with nothing but the best valves and gauges. I would be all over this link like white on rice if I was you! It's the best thing going! ...Just my ¢.02

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The used Binks is hands down your best bet. You are getting an American made and engineered pressure pot that is ASME certified to 80 psi. With any of the others, you are getting a China made and engineered pressure pot that is stamped with a max pressure that has nothing to back it up.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
BTW, the $200-300 pots are just more expensive China made pots. CA Technologies used to be a pretty good pot made in the USA but they started outsourcing to China about 6-7 years ago. TCP is just another China made pot and like Low48 said, they are probably made in the same factory as the HF pot. To me, having the ASME certification is worth every penny in peace of mind. If you don't buy the one on CL and want to keep looking on Fleabay, Binks, Graco, Devilbis are all American made pots. The Graco and Devilbis are going to be older pots (they no longer make them) but that is ok.

jttheclockman

I don't know but I am looking at that TCP link provided and that pot looks just as sturdy and if not better than all the ones mentioned. That locking system looks heavy duty to me. Unless the metal fatigues or something I do not see anything wrong with that one.

I own the HF and never had a problem. I do not go over 50 lbs of pressure because for what I do I find no need. But it too has those lever clamps that all others seem to have and to me that is the weak link. Having them slip off the lid is what I worry about.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
John, The Binks pots have that clamp system and they have been in use for many many years and are the gold standard for professional pressure pots. They seem to be fine for the ASME certification process which is believe is 2.5 x MAWP (max allowable working pressure).

The TPS pot in that link appears to be just like the Grizzly pot among others. For my money, I am going with certified pots with an American manufacturer backing it up.

jttheclockman

Curtis, the Binks pots are different in that they have a lip on the lid that the clamp goes over so that it does not slip off. With the HF and other China made ones they are somewhat flat, no lip. With the one in the link and even this one the clamping system is heavy duty and the pressure of the clamp is straight up and down. The lid always goes on the same way. As with the ones with the C clamps they can be moved and that pressure of the clamp can keep getting moved. Unless the metal used is thicker or made from some other alloys, I see those being as sturdy.

I agree that the testing standards are higher for the USA ones and should mean more and will command a steeper price. Just like all tools if not maintained they too can be dangerous. In my field the label to look for is the UL label on any electrical equipment. Does that mean it was tested or was the labels bought and stuck on there. You hope that equipment is tested on a regular basis and weed out those fakes. It does happen though.

CAT-51-202md.jpg

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Binks pots don't have labels that can just be stuck on. They have a piece of thin steel permanently welded to the side of the pot with the testing company name and address, unique serial number for each pot, date, and certification information stamped into the steel, just like good air compressor tanks.

And I am very familiar with the differences. I have 3 Binks pots and 1 Graco, all certified. I used to have 2 HF pots and have set up many for folks. I have also set up 2 of the CA Technologies pots in your photo.

HamTurns

ScottB - I found a couple used BINKS certified pots at a local cabinet shop.

They said they were getting rid of them and are purchasing pre-finished sheet stock, so they didn't need all of them any longer.

You may want to go around and check with your local paint and cabinet shops for used ones.

Happy Turning - Tom

brownsfn2

Watch Craigslist. I did a search for 3 months and waited patiently. Eventually a company that uses pressure pots to apply adhesive went out of business and they sold me a pallet of 4 Binks pots for $200. They had three of the small ones and 1 large 10 gallon one. I sold the 10 gallon one for $300.

They do become available from time to time. They are just rare as they last forever. If you are able to find a used one you will not be disappointed when you see the quality even in the used ones.

I used to get leaks all the time with HF and other pressure pots. No leaks with the used ones. I did have to replace a gasket on one though.

jttheclockman

Binks pots don't have labels that can just be stuck on. They have a piece of thin steel permanently welded to the side of the pot with the testing company name and address, unique serial number for each pot, date, and certification information stamped into the steel, just like good air compressor tanks.

And I am very familiar with the differences. I have 3 Binks pots and 1 Graco, all certified. I used to have 2 HF pots and have set up many for folks. I have also set up 2 of the CA Technologies pots in your photo.

Curtis do not take my statement as an argument or disagreement. It is an opinion. I too have seen many Binks pots as well as Devilbis pots being in the trades and painters use them all the time on the jobs. You are more informed than I ever will be in this area and that is for sure. The best pots are the ones you mentioned and they do go through rigorous tests which you pay for in the price and well worth the money. Buy once and buy the best you can afford.

My point was the locking system of the lid to me on the one I shown and the one in the link to ME seems a better and more secure way to lock the lid. As far as the parts used that can be a different topic. But and I will say this again and again as with any tool no matter what certificate it has or what top shelf material is used if not properly used it can be dangerous. That is all my point was.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If it is local, offer them $175 and buy that puppy! If you don't like it and decide casting is not for you, I will buy it for what you pay for it!

The regulators on the top are not useful for casting so you could probably take them off and sell them on e-bay and get some of your money back! I did that with each of my 3 Binks pot regulators and got pretty good money for them! Of course they were brand new but still. Look up what they sell for new and ask 1/2 of that or so. Can't remember now but they are not cheap.

Top Bottom