Need a new pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bushwacked

So I am in need of a new pot. 2 1/2 gal is what I have and seems to be a good size. I don't mind going bigger but would rather not drop the extra money.

I have heard people getting the harbor freight pot and upgrading the fittings. Not sure I trust something going boom with HF quality.

Thoughts? Is it ok? Or what others should I be looking into?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

I've been using a hf pot for about 6 months now. Haven't had any issues. I run around 50 to 55 pspi.Got it for a little over 70$ with the 20% off coupon. Hope this helps.

bushwacked

I've been using a hf pot for about 6 months now. Haven't had any issues. I run around 50 to 55 pspi.Got it for a little over 70$ with the 20% off coupon. Hope this helps.

Did you replace all the fittings with new ones like I have read a lot of people doing?

Kenny Durrant

I have one that I've used for years. I didn't necessarily re[place fittings. I bought different ones and moved others. Like I said I've had it for years and since day one I had to really tighten down on the bolts. Now it feels like the threads are stretched or pulled. The bolts don't move as smoothly as they should. It's been a good pot but now I'm worried about the screws failing so I've been thinking about a new pot. I'm not sure where to start so I'm interested in the replies you get. I'd buy another HF but I don't see myself stopping casting so I thought about upgrading.

bushwacked

found a 20% off coupon .. so I think I will just go grab one of the HF pots for now to get me through a few years hopefully before I need something else. Or at least time to save up for some nice ones.

Kenny Durrant

Bushwacked I didn't replace fitting because they were bad I did it because I wanted something different. I don't remember the exacts but I do remember that most of what I did was moving them around. I have two ports on my lid and I put the pressure guage and pop off valve on one with a T. On the other I put a ball valve with a quick disconnect and on the bottom side of that I put a cap that I drilled holes in the side so the air going into the pot wouldn't blow straight on the molds.

PSNCO

This is helpful and almost foolproof for the fittings you may want/need to upgrade.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f178/how-set-up-your-hf-pressure-pot-$35-without-leaving-home-126713/

bushwacked

This is helpful and almost foolproof for the fittings you may want/need to upgrade.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f178/how-set-up-your-hf-pressure-pot-$35-without-leaving-home-126713/

oh that is brilliant! Thanks for the link :good:

bushwacked

ordered the parts on the list ... prices have gone up since that post though ... probably closer to $50ish by the time I was done

bushwacked

Just curious..."Need a NEW pot."

What happened to the "OLD" pot? Did you blow it up? It was just "Butt Ugly"? ??

was moving it around and dropped it with the lid off and dented up the top enough to where it wont hold air anymore with the gap it created. I could fix, yes or at least try ... but with it being pressurized and all that I would just rather not risk it and it was on the older side anyways

SteveG

Just curious..."Need a NEW pot."

What happened to the "OLD" pot? Did you blow it up? It was just "Butt Ugly"? ??

was moving it around and dropped it with the lid off and dented up the top enough to where it wont hold air anymore with the gap it created. I could fix, yes or at least try ... but with it being pressurized and all that I would just rather not risk it and it was on the older side anyways

Great move...get rid of a potential very undesirable event. :eek::eek:

I suggest you "fix" it somehow, so no one can even try to use it...10 pound sledge hammer perhaps?:)

Top Bottom