Need cheap snakeskin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I have some excellent rattlesnake skins, same supplier Don Ward uses, but I hate to use them to learn on. Does anyone know of a source for cheap snakeskins, like $.30 per inch or less? Type of snake is pretty much irrelevant as is the color and quality.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

As I tell people at the shows, skins are available for free-just go into your back yard on a warm summer day and start killing. (NOT MY cup of tea!!!)

its_virgil

The only other skins of the same kind that I have found are $1.10 per inch. I have found no other snake skins of any kind for less than $.40 per inch. The guy we bought from is now out and he will not be selling skins any more.[:(] We need to search and try to find another source....I have enough to last me awhile[:D]. But I'll run our sooner than I think.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I have some excellent rattlesnake skins, same supplier Don Ward uses, but I hate to use them to learn on. Does anyone know of a source for cheap snakeskins, like $.30 per inch or less? Type of snake is pretty much irrelevant as is the color and quality.

laspringer

gerryr,
I've got some large snakeskins drying now, they are not tanned like the guy in South Dakota but are cured, they are not as soft as tanned skins. With the cold weather skins take longer to dry.

Alan

Skye

I've got a baggy with some belly skin in it. Wont make a nice lookin pen, or tube for that matter, but it's a start.

old folks

Please remember I have never done casting but came up with an idea.
I have seen rattlesnake pattern material on E Bay, might this work ?
Might be good enough to practice with and if the material does not bleed it could be a way to make cheap snake snake pens. I have seen several different snake skin patterns on E Bay.
Just an idea so don't be to hard on me... thank you

cozee

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Gerry,

As I tell people at the shows, skins are available for free-just go into your back yard on a warm summer day and start killing. (NOT MY cup of tea!!!)

'Bout the only animal I find in my backyard on a warm summer day is the neighbors dog. I don't think he'd make good pens nor the neighbor happy!![:D][B)]

Ron Mc

Gerry,
You may want to look at this post that is in the classifieds![;)]
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18242

redfishsc

Here in the Carolinas you have and all-you-can-turn buffet on the highways-- deer antler, snakeskins, and probably a few other things I wouldn't even take into the wood shop but make ya wonder.

Charles

Tandy does sell snake skins but they are proud of them too. I catch my own and skin,tan,cut,glue, cast and turn them. I may have some scraps I can send you to practice with. send me an email and address.

mrplace

Here is a link to where I get some of my skins. They average $10 and are about 3 feet long. She has a lot of other snake skins too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=260084044405&rd=1&rd=1

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by beathard
<br />I have a bunch of snakes in the freezer. I just need to gigure out how to tan them...

In another thread, the use of anti-freeze was mentioned as being an easy way to tan snakeskin. Since I have an interest in tanning from another avocation, this aroused my attention since I had never heard of the technique. I contacted others with experience, most had never heard of it. One who had, and was a taxidermist, replied saying that the method is not very permanent.
I am wondering what pens made with anti-freeze 'tanned' snakeskins will look like in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom