NE1 use a cold trap with Vacuum pump?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

So, I'm looking at starting to stabilize wood and stumbled across a site that says you must use a cold trap with their vacuum pumps when using stabilizing resin or it will void the warranty.

Of course the resin trap they sell is $185 so that isn't even feasible!

Any truth to this "cold trap" thing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

use of a liquid sump will help extend the life of your vacuum pump...if...you're a bonehead and don't watch your chamber while stabilizing.

you can make one easily

Kdoc87

I've been running my chamber with nothing in between it and the pump...Just always make sure to watch my level when I first pull vacuum and haven't had any issues so far.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you are using Cactus Juice, there are no gasses being pulled off the resin under full vacuum unless the temperature of the resin is above 93° F which is above its service temp anyway. I can't speak for other resins. Most pump issues are caused by volatile contaminates in the wood being removed during vacuum because of not drying the wood properly before stabilizing and using very cheap vacuum pumps. I have never used a cold trap and make no recommendations for their use with my vacuum chambers or with Cactus Juice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom