My Robinair Pump is misting!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

menglor

ok, so Yes, I know its kind of normal. and I have seen the multitude of posts that say stick the hose outside,

However, I have 2 issues,

1 - its -22 today, so keeping a window open or sticking the hose under the door doesnt work well for me as I am 30 feet from the nearest opening.

2 - My robinair 15310 Mist's A LOT! like I ran it for 2 hours and the smoke detectors went off in the house.

I run it in the garage, and someone called the fire dept because the mist coming from under the door looked dangerous.

the levels are NEVER over the max line in the glass.

it was purchased in 2016 in march from Amazon, so its under waranty, but I am sure they are going to say its normal.

So, I tried running a hose from the exhaust port, into a bottle of oil and let it basically blow bubbles thinking it might just filter itself through the oil, but that became quite violant and well, messy.

I read in one post to just go get a oil filter. but I struggled even at HomeDepot to figure out what the thread on the exhaust port is.

so, has anyone created a Mod that captures the oil? and whats the size of the thread?

Hep! Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

ok, so Yes, I know its kind of normal. and I have seen the multitude of posts that say stick the hose outside,

However, I have 2 issues,

1 - its -22 today, so keeping a window open or sticking the hose under the door doesnt work well for me as I am 30 feet from the nearest opening.

2 - My robinair 15310 Mist's A LOT! like I ran it for 2 hours and the smoke detectors went off in the house.

I run it in the garage, and someone called the fire dept because the mist coming from under the door looked dangerous.

the levels are NEVER over the max line in the glass.

it was purchased in 2016 in march from Amazon, so its under waranty, but I am sure they are going to say its normal.

So, I tried running a hose from the exhaust port, into a bottle of oil and let it basically blow bubbles thinking it might just filter itself through the oil, but that became quite violant and well, messy.

I read in one post to just go get a oil filter. but I struggled even at HomeDepot to figure out what the thread on the exhaust port is.

so, has anyone created a Mod that captures the oil? and whats the size of the thread?

Hep! Please

Don't panic, there is a simple solution for the mist but I would like you to take note of this info.

Your description of the mist/smoke events sounds a little exaggerated, I use those type of pumps and on IAP there have been dozens of members that went through some mist issues but never in such proportions as in your case so, let's take a step back and consider this.

The pump was purchased in 2016 and I believe you have used it a few times before so, has it ever produced such amount of mist/smoke/condensation..?

There are 2 major contributors to excess mist in these type pumps, either single or 2 stage, the first one is oil level too high, it needs to be at the mark on the sump window, too much oil and the pressure will push it through the top vent.

Is your oil contaminate with CJ or water...?

Water in the oil is normal in most climates, before you start the pump, you should bleed the sump for any water, tilt the pump slightly because any water will sink to the bottom after the oil settle, this is why you should drain any water well after you used the pump last and never immediately after you used it.

I could go further and ask when was the last time you did an oil change...?

You will be surprised at how easily the oil gets dirty/contaminated, pump oils are not expensive and it uses just about 0,5 litre or so to change it.

To note that, if the oil has been used, still looks clean but is below the recommended level, top it up to level, remember that only a little bit of oil at the time, it doesn't take much at all.

I will explain about preventing the oil mist next, as I have already posted my solution from my older pump that is the same as the one I have now only the top vent which is also the oil filling cap are different and the correct solution so, a pic of the pump you have with a close-up to the vent cap would be appreciated.

I believe that you should start by removing the old oil and rinse the oil sump with some petrol, the procedure is simple. Remove all the old oil from the bleeding screw (bottom), re-insert the screw and pour about a small cup of petrol into the top oil cap/vent, put the cap back and give the whole pump a good shake, this will clean all the surfaces of the oil sump. You have two options here, you either simply drain the petrol immediately after the shake using the bottom drain screw or and I do this every so often, plug the pump to power and turn it on for no longer than 10 seconds before you drain the petrol out. This can be useful to clean the pump internals if oil was contaminated with CJ. I like to use the air blow gun to push any petrol left still on the sump before I put the new oil in.

If you do this, you are eliminating one of the main mist causes, the simple and inexpensive way to control the oil mist is shown in the following pics,

001.JPG004.JPG008.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

remember that this system is for the type of oil cap with the shape you can see, there is a new type now used on moist pumps and those caps the solution is even simpler, you only need the papper tower folded and cut as shown and screw the new type cap right on it, the way it works is that, the mist comes from the inside the black cap and then its the flat top surface where the vertical vents the new caps have, push the mist down but with the paper tower in there, the mist turn liquid when hits the top of the vent and then drips down into the paper towel, when it gets too soaked, replace it.

I hope this helps,

Let us know the results...!

Cheers
George

If you also want to see how much gunk these pumps built inside them, you need to see also this thread of mine. here

menglor

I will start by saying, its no longer an issue, because I called Amazon because Its warrantied for a year. and they gave me a RMA and refunded me the cash. so my problem is solved. kind of.

I have upgraded to a JB industries pump.

Don't panic, there is a simple solution for the mist but I would like you to take note of this info.

Your description of the mist/smoke events sounds a little exaggerated, I use those type of pumps and on IAP there have been dozens of members that went through some mist issues but never in such proportions as in your case so, let's take a step back and consider this.

The pump was purchased in 2016 and I believe you have used it a few times before so, has it ever produced such amount of mist/smoke/condensation..?

I have used it a considerable amount of times over the past year. and really only back in Oct is when I noticed it was getting bad.

In november, I filled it just bellow the fill line and then ran it, knowing the pump would make a bit of mist.

after 3 hours of running, both my wife and son came to me to tell me there is a problem, and thats when the smoke detectors went off. 3 hours after turning off the pump, it was more or less gone.

I ran it in the Garage a day later. and in an hour, the 20 x 20 was FOGGY night.

There are 2 major contributors to excess mist in these type pumps, either single or 2 stage, the first one is oil level too high, it needs to be at the mark on the sump window, too much oil and the pressure will push it through the top vent.

Is your oil contaminate with CJ or water...?

Water in the oil is normal in most climates, before you start the pump, you should bleed the sump for any water, tilt the pump slightly because any water will sink to the bottom after the oil settle, this is why you should drain any water well after you used the pump last and never immediately after you used it.
I know it was bellow the mark, and A for CJ, I had a previous pump, and I can tell you , if you run a vaccuum pump long enough with CJ, it will cook itself and the CJ will harden inside the unit.

its why I have a robinaire, because my 50$ chinese knock off fried.

I could go further and ask when was the last time you did an oil change...?

depends on how much I use it. I had to buy more a year ago when I learned how fast it fills up with cracp

You will be surprised at how easily the oil gets dirty/contaminated, pump oils are not expensive and it uses just about 0,5 litre or so to change it.

To note that, if the oil has been used, still looks clean but is below the recommended level, top it up to level, remember that only a little bit of oil at the time, it doesn't take much at all.

I will explain about preventing the oil mist next, as I have already posted my solution from my older pump that is the same as the one I have now only the top vent which is also the oil filling cap are different and the correct solution so, a pic of the pump you have with a close-up to the vent cap would be appreciated.

I believe that you should start by removing the old oil and rinse the oil sump with some petrol, the procedure is simple. Remove all the old oil from the bleeding screw (bottom), re-insert the screw and pour about a small cup of petrol into the top oil cap/vent, put the cap back and give the whole pump a good shake, this will clean all the surfaces of the oil sump. You have two options here, you either simply drain the petrol immediately after the shake using the bottom drain screw or and I do this every so often, plug the pump to power and turn it on for no longer than 10 seconds before you drain the petrol out. This can be useful to clean the pump internals if oil was contaminated with CJ. I like to use the air blow gun to push any petrol left still on the sump before I put the new oil in.

If you do this, you are eliminating one of the main mist causes, the simple and inexpensive way to control the oil mist is shown in the following pics,

View attachment 170997View attachment 170998View attachment 170999View attachment 171000View attachment 171001

remember that this system is for the type of oil cap with the shape you can see, there is a new type now used on moist pumps and those caps the solution is even simpler, you only need the papper tower folded and cut as shown and screw the new type cap right on it, the way it works is that, the mist comes from the inside the black cap and then its the flat top surface where the vertical vents the new caps have, push the mist down but with the paper tower in there, the mist turn liquid when hits the top of the vent and then drips down into the paper towel, when it gets too soaked, replace it.

I hope this helps,

Let us know the results...!

Cheers
George

I am definitly going to re-investigate a proper filter. I likely will invest in another one at some point. the model I bought, I was told wont mist.

I have my doubts, but we shall see.

Top Bottom