My new HF pressure pot just blew and almost killed me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paladin

This is just the third time I used it. It may have failed due to operator error, but I almost got killed nonetheless.

I bought it to do PR castings. I did some modifications...mostly I put a brass valve on the input so I could disconnect my air compressor when I was done. I had just gotten up to about 58-59 psi and was about to turn to valve and disconnect the compressor hose. Just then the brass fitting blew out...then the lid blew off, brushed my face on the way by at the speed of a Nolan Ryan fastball. Worked the first two times. This time, not so much.

I like this hobby and had no intention of doing something dangerous. Running with the bulls would be safer.

So, in the trash with the failed HF experiment. Save for a Binks (or whatever) and be happy that I am not dead.

gmreeves

I'm glad I read this forum and no better than to buy one of those things. I'm glad you are o.k. but those things need to be taken off the market! Scary stuff for a hobby.

PenMan1

Better to save for the Binks than having the relatives saving for a funeral! Those pots are dangerous! I'm glad you survived!

Last edited:

PenMan1

Ok Andy, I will admit it. You ar right. My HF pot goes back tonight.

Lauren

It's not a matter of being right. I wish they worked. But, in China, there is a SHIP IT mentality, it doesn't have to be right or within any kind of specifications, just shipped to the USA. We have become known as a nation that will buy anything if the price is low enough.

When you can go into a store and look at 10 Chinese items that are to be identical and find that no two are the same, that speaks volumes to me. When I was young, we used to laugh at any "Made in Japan" item because the quality was so inferior to U.S. manufacturing. I'm not sure that American engineering is what it was a few decades ago, but at least we have SOME standards that mean SOMETHING! A country that will knowingly make and sell baby products made from lead has no shame!

Since the quality of these pots vary so greatly from pot to pot, I'm afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed yutzing with these things.

Last edited:

lorbay

Mark. You and Curtis (MesquiteMan ) should buy a lottery ticket as you have both come close to getting hit with thise HF pots.LOL

Lin.

Paladin

Upon further review...

I mentioned in my original post that there may have been some operator error involved because I changed a few things around. Upon closer inspection, I think not. I found the valve assembly that I thought blew off. I now think it was sheared off after the lid blew and the lid assembly landed on the concrete floor.

The valve was closed, and the pressure gauge (still on the lid assembly) is frozen at 58 psi.

So, it looks like the lid blew and the valve broke off on impact.

I took great care to make sure the lid was on properly and the gasket seated securely. I also made sure I got all four clamps on the lid as far as they can go and were tightened down as well as my Herculean muscles could make them.

It still blew off.

No more HF for me. It is all going in the trash.

I looked at the Alumilite website and they sell theirs for $169 (I think) and they sure look like the HF one I have. Gives me the creeps.

I will physically go look at the Binks and then maybe go that direction. This is supposed to be fun...

Marc Ward
Brookfield, WI

Fred

Mark ... Might I suggest that you save all the bits and pieces and especially the frozen in place pressure gauge. THEN, contact your state agency for public ssafety - here in GA we have the Governor's Consumer Complaint Board - and file a report for product suitability.

If your state of WI does not have such a department then a quick call to a local fire department or police department just may be of assistance in finding such a place to properly file a complaint.

In doing this you just might save someone's life or prevent grave personal injury in the near future. :beat-up:

I just wonder IF HF would like to know about the incident ... or do they even care?? :eek::eek:

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The Alumilite pot is also a made in China pot. I would not go there and I am probably the biggest Alumilite cheerleader on this site!

Look at either a Binks or a CA Technologies. The Binks is ASME certified to 80 psi while the CA Tech is not but the CA Tech is less expensive. Both are good pots and both are made in the USA I believe. I know the Binks pots are and am pretty sure the CA Tech pot is as well. Like I said in another thread, the lid alone on my Binks pot weighs more than the entire HF pot. That should tell you something.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think that HF would probably just turn around and say that you were not using it for it's intended purpose ( paint spraying) and had modified it too.
Unless they sell them as 'Constant Pressure Resin Casting Pots' of course.

Glad you are ok though.

ldb2000

The recommended working pressure is 40 PSI , rated max pressure is 50 PSI . You guys are just asking for trouble by not using as intended . For casting PR no more then 25 PSI is needed even alumilite don't recommend the pressures you guys are using them at and why they feel that the pots they sell can be safely used .

Chris Bar

With the advent of the internet, folks buy stuff then start monkeying around with it. Few people any more are content to use it as designed. When the after market stuff fails, they go after the folks who sold it originally because the aftermarket guy cannot be found.
Yes, by all means, go after HF so they have to stop selling pressurized paint cans, so the painters will need to spend more for high pressure cans. If it says 40 working, it means 40 working, not 41 and not 45, and certainly not 58. I have designed ASME pressure vessels; it's not magic but it does take knowledge beyond the garage shop mentality, which is why the country stopped killing people with boiler explosions on river boats. You should not screw with stuff that is designed by engineers. Its why we got the insane amount of money for what we did. In 1905, the average pay for an engineer was four times what a physician received. They they (the doctors) started cheating. Glad you survived...some folks don't. Will get down off the soap box now.

Texatdurango

So one person has a mishap and everyone starts returning or trashing their Harbor Freight pressure pots? :eek:

I've been reading about these things here for over three years now and never heard of a mishap except from Curtis who modified his clamps so we don't know what the real cause of his failure was.

That's not a bad record considering the hundreds of members using these posts on a regular basis casting their blanks.

I've used mine dozens of times between 65 - 70 psi without mishap as have hundreds of others, and am not going to stop because a member who has used his three times and admits..."I did some modifications...mostly I put a brass valve on the input so I could disconnect my air compressor when I was done".

Paladin, I'd like to know what other modifications you did, perhaps one of those was the culprit.

Paladin

Pressure pot...

The Alumilite pot is also a made in China pot. I would not go there and I am probably the biggest Alumilite cheerleader on this site!

Look at either a Binks or a CA Technologies. The Binks is ASME certified to 80 psi while the CA Tech is not but the CA Tech is less expensive. Both are good pots and both are made in the USA I believe. I know the Binks pots are and am pretty sure the CA Tech pot is as well. Like I said in another thread, the lid alone on my Binks pot weighs more than the entire HF pot. That should tell you something.

I will probably call the CA Tech people and speak to them. I saw their website and am willing to try their product.

Thanks for the input.

And btw, I did read all these "killer HF pressure pot" posts, but decided to be real careful and try to get my project done. It almost hit me in the face. I actually felt it graze my skin on it's way into orbit. Never again, in the trash it goes.

Mine also says 80 psi max on the lid. It's about a year old and is used at that pressure almost daily. It appears to be none the worse for wear but I think I'll start looking for a binks as I've used one as a painting contractor and they are definitely top notch.

Paladin

Rated working pressure...

The recommended working pressure is 40 PSI , rated max pressure is 50 PSI . You guys are just asking for trouble by not using as intended . For casting PR no more then 25 PSI is needed even alumilite don't recommend the pressures you guys are using them at and why they feel that the pots they sell can be safely used .

There are lots of comments now in this thread about using the product above its rated pressure...I don't know where you get your information, but my documentaion says "working pressure 40-60 PSI". Max says 80 PSI. Mine blew at 58, which is less than the 60PSI mentioned as the upper range of working pressure and way below the 80PSI listed as maximum.

I was not using it above the working or maximum pressure.

Also, I was using "Smooth-On' liquids and they recommend 60PSI for pressure curing.

ldb2000

My quote of 40 psi as a working pressure came from the instruction sheet that came with my HF pot when it was purchased 2 years ago . Also if you check alumilite site they also gived a max pressure of 50 psi and clearly state not to exceed it and suggest a working pressure of 35 to 40 psi .

Paladin

Irrelevant to my situation...

My quote of 40 psi as a working pressure came from the instruction sheet that came with my HF pot when it was purchased 2 years ago . Also if you check alumilite site they also gived a max pressure of 50 psi and clearly state not to exceed it and suggest a working pressure of 35 to 40 psi .

I was using a new pressure pot with higher published working pressures than yours. And, I was not using Alumilite, I was using Smooth-On.

ldb2000

You might just have court case against them . I just checked their website and looked up the owners man for your pot and they do indeed say 60 psi max working pressure . I'm not sure when they changed it but it now says 80 psi max .
As I said my pot is about 2 years old and I would still never use it at more then 40 psi infact my pressure relief valve pops at 45 psi . Bottom line is I don't even use it anymore as I found I can cast without pressure and get bubble free castings .

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Remember, HF is very inconsistent with the quality AND with the product they actually put in that box.

I have worked on about 8 HF pots now, 3 of my own, one for the IAP B-day bash last year, and 3 or 4 for various IAP members. All but 2 of them had the 80psi maximum WORKING pressure stamped on the lid. The other 2 were totally different and had max working pressure of 50 or something like that. I believe the ones with the welded fittings are the ones with the lower working pressure stamped on them.

Regardless, I am no longer trusting my life to some Chinese quality control process. Cleaning out my drawers once was enough!

DozerMite

Banned
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/93000-93999/93119.pdf

I particularly like line 22 and 25. These things were made to spray paint. Paint isn't sprayed at 60 psi and paint doesn't contain the same chemicals that people here are placing in them. There are many things that are corrosive to aluminum and weaken it. If you want to use pressure... get the proper tool. An AUTOCLAVE! That is what they are intended to be used for...pressure, into the thousands of pounds. Just stop with the shadetree engineering and do it properly. What will it take, someone to get killed?

/rant

JoeHodge1978

I have used a hf pot for about 5 years now spraying contact cement.I use about 85 psi with no problems.I do know that if you don't tighten the clamps evenly (like lug-nuts on a tire) you can cause some problems.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dozer,

Sorry to disagree but yes, stuff that is sprayed from a pressure pot is sprayed at 60 psi sometimes. Remember, a lot more than just paint is sprayed from a PP including catalyzed lacquer. Also, there is no aluminum in an HF pot. It is all steel except the pop off valve.

As for using the right stuff, a good quality pressure pot IS the right stuff. According to the tech rep at CA Technologies as well as a fellow I talked to from Binks said that they have a LOT of pots in use for similar applications. I even asked the CA Tech guy directly if I was doing something that I should not be doing and he said absolutely not.

DozerMite

Banned
Yes some paints may be sprayed at 60 psi, but most aren't. That isn't the point, the point is the vessel is being altered and there in compromising it's integrity.
You can continue to use your makeshift equipment and when I see your obituary, I will send my condolences to your family.

An example...

Here locally, there were two guys trying to patch a fuel tank in their van. The problem was the tank was half full of gas. So the two guys knowing that their shopvac would suck up water, decided to use that to siphon the gas. Well, one guy died, the other critically injured, the van was burnt to a crisp and the garage and house burnt to the ground. Using a tool for a non intended use.
This kind of stupidity happens all the time and the injured want to blame the manufacturer while dialing their attorney.
Just spend the extra money and get the proper equipment and be safe.

Operative words...BE SAFE!!!

I would hate to see anyone get hurt, especially from following the encouragment and recommendation of someone else.

stevers

Hello All,

I've had mine for 2 or 3 years (HF model). I have used it many times. At least 30 or 40 times. Usually at or around 25 pounds. But I have had it up in the 60's more than once. When doing Worthless Wood. Never had a sign of failure.

I remember a year ago a fella did a test with what I believe was a HF pot and couldn't get it to fail. He blew air lines and had fittings fail, but not a pot failure. And he went WAY over recommended pressures.

If I cast again, it will be with my HF pressure pot.

Just my 2 cents.

Laurenr

I returned my HF pressure pot today because it didn't work. It wouldn't hold pressure beyond 20#. When I would force it beyond that the gasket would blow out the side and the entire unit would fly around on the floor. That by itself was not particularly threatening, but it surely portends a dangerous situation eventually.

That many of you have had success with HF pots is a good thing for you, but the fact is that they have no consistency with, or quality control over their product. My guess is that different companies make the unit from a common set of plans; some do it well, some do not. Lately it seems to be the not part!

I will order the CA Technology pot made for resin processing, the same one that Curtis offered up the url in his last post.

I talked to a friend this evening who is a professional painter. He said, "Don't even think about getting a cheap one!" That, the posts over the past few days, and my recent experience is enough for me. Enough screwing around, I will go for quality and safety.

phillywood

Ok, If curtis had a post already and another guy just reported that he had a blow out few days back, and here Curtis reinterate it again, then why in the workd you guys are still trying the darn thing. I thought that tht particular pot is made for paint and it's not made for the purpose of what were are doing here. If you go report it, wouldn't they ask you that what purpose you were using the pot for and they may not even back up your claim. it's getting to the point that for gos forbis we are just waiting for someone to report that they came out of the hospital before we lay off this darn thing. I am just praying that this would be the last post we read.
And, Marc, I am very glad that you are safe and youdidn't get hurt. Just lay off that pot for awhile andsave up for Bink. I have seen Curtis's pot and they look very well made. He was so willing to share his expereience with us, which I am very greatful for it, before my wife get very rich by cashing in on the life insurance.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You can continue to use your makeshift equipment and when I see your obituary, I will send my condolences to your family.

No makeshift equipment here, sir. I have 2 Binks pressure pots ASME CERTIFIED to a working pressure of 80 psi that according to the manufacturer, is suitable for the purposes I am using them for. Also, not modifications are done to these posts that alter their structural integrity.

I would politely ask the Original Poster to take and post several/many reference photos if possible, for documentation. I don't doubt you had an incident, I would like to see the remains and gather data to make my own asessment of the possible causes.

Also, was the pressure gauge used the one that came with the pot? What was your pressure regulator from your compressor set at? Was this PP the one with the bolted bulkheads or the welded fittings. Did you remove the fittings from the lid and replace them securely? How did you tighten the lid. Did you make any modifications to the lid lockup?

I'm sure I have several more questions but at the moment can't remember them.

Paladin

And, Marc, I am very glad that you are safe and youdidn't get hurt. Just lay off that pot for awhile andsave up for Bink. I have seen Curtis's pot and they look very well made. He was so willing to share his expereience with us, which I am very greatful for it, before my wife get very rich by cashing in on the life insurance.

Good advice, which will be taken. Thank you.

Marc Ward
Brookfield, WI

bruce119

Well I breezed through the post and just read the Original post again. I have 3 pots and like most never had a problem. Like all they are modified now I take great respect and care when modifying and inspect the pots each time. I admit the newest pots that have the better welded fitting has a lid that is not as good as the previous ones. The lip on the top is not as high and the clamps with some force could be knocked off.

I too would like to see some photos just what failed. he said the brass fitting blew out what brass fitting. Yours the one in the regulator that came with the pot (that I through away). So first the brass fitting blew out now you have an explosive escaping air of 50 psi. I would bet it knocked the pot over and that knocked the lid off. I have mine secured the biggest fear is the pot getting knocked over that would be a very, very bad thing. How were the clamps did the welds hold on the pot I would think there would have been deep gouge marks in the lid from the clamps pulling out. Was the seal completely seated I know when I got my new pot the seals were not seated all the way in any of them. It is possible the seal seated with the explosive release of pressure thereby loosening the clamps.

The last 2 pots I got I could not seat the seal myself. It was kind of like seating a bead on a tire. I pressurized the pot at a safe distance and about at 50lbs it popped. Oh didn't mention I tighten the clamps with just a little more than my hands could with a little torque. Both of the last pots I got leaked till I seated the seal once the seal seated there was no more problems no more leaks.

One more thing after the seal seated and I depressurized the clamps were much looser than originally tighten.

Just trying to figure out what happen. I don't thing the lid failed that brass fitting for what ever reason failed and I think that set off a chain of very bad events. I suspect that the seal was not seated after all it was only the 3rd time it had pressure.

With any pot it should be secured and never stand over it when pressurizing.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt bet you had to change your shorts. We don't realize how dangerous 50lbs can be in a small pot it is a small bomb. I am an advanced SCUBA diver and saw pictures of scuba tanks blowing in shops. You swear 10 sticks of dynamite went off completely destroying half the building and killing the operator well scuba tanks go 2,500-3,000psi.

Again glad to hear you weren't hurt you got lucky.

Top Bottom