My First Try At Casting a Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrane

My first try at using 2pack clear resin to make a pen. I used a two pack clear' EPOXY CAST 306'and for the colours l used a pigment paste from the same supplier its also not cheep!but the pigments should go a long way the resin mix is a 3 to 1' three parts resin one part hardener' and has no smell at all.l used cardboard wrapped around the broomstick for a mold' cut some of the b/stick for the plug and taped it all up' mixed it all up and poured it into the moulds l had no vacuum or pressure pot to use l also did a clear cast and got no air bubbles that l can see'l was just lucky l think'when l pored the mix l used a icecream or popstick and slowly let the mix rundown the stick into the mould very slow. l waited 1/half days then turned them. these are the pens.the top pen l mixed some yellow into the black before it gelled. l learn the hard way.

200612982054_100_1586.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snazzypens

John that is a WOW I love both the red and the black and the red band they are just gorgeous. Very nice.
TOni

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice - I find the epoxies have much less odor than the PR resins, but can be a little softer and sometimes don't get as much gloss when polihed. Also sometmes get a dimple under the ball in the clip with time. Would be interested to know if you see this after a few weeks or if this resin is a little harder than the ones I have used.

its_virgil

Nice pens and castings John...especially for the first try. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pens when you really learn how to cast[;)][:D]. Keep up the good work.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

johncrane

Thanks DON l think theres no limit as to what you can make espacially with your help and good tips l also will be looking for a vacuum pump/pressure pot in 2007.l had the epoxy and pigments sitting in the work shop for so long my wife said to me when are you going to try that stuff out!! so thats whats got me off my butt and going. [:)]

johncrane

Thanks Richard and JIM' the red one is my pick the top pen has bit of yellow thru it and didnt turnout like l wanted it too, l mixed the yellow with the black before it jelled up' (a practise blunder)[:(][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom