My first PR cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

It was finally almost 50 degrees today so I decided to dive in and try my first PR cast. (It had nothing to do with the fact the in-laws were visiting) :biggrin:
I would like to say that everything went just as I had planned it ...:rolleyes:... but you wouldn't believe that anyways. My first mistake, in spite of checking the volume of my mold, I didn't mix up as much as I should have. I would have liked to have some left over, as it turned out I didn't quite fill to the top of the mould. Still I was able to get a good 3/4" thickness.
I used Silmar41 and Coastal Scents mica pigments.
Had a very nice purple with the first part of the pour.... I did submerse the cups in warm water to help with the mixing...but it was cold .... wasn't setting up very fast. I mixed the white ultra silk and added the catalyst thinking the first part would be gelling soon. Got anxious and added it too soon I think. This was after a good hour had gone by. Placed it on the bandsaw and ran it for 10 minutes or so but never really saw much in the way of air bubbles.
Finally placed it in a cardboard box turned on it's side and clamped a light with a 100w bulb facing it.
I was a little confused about whether or not it was safe to place the whole thing in the toaster oven or not while still in a semi-liquid state ?
Once it had set up (the light worked quite well) I did place it in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes at around 125 degrees.

Next time I will probably use more of the purple (or whatever main color) and less of the complimentary color.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice, both here and through the many library articles! This is going to have a learning curve but it's going to be FUN!!! :)

Attachments

• 1stcast.jpg
    1stcast.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 450
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Way to go, Lenny. You took a difficult situation and survived it with god looking cast. My first is in the trash. I posted and asked for help which came in abundance. I was and still am very grateful for all the attention the more experienced members poured upon me. Good job and keep up the effort. I think this thing, casting, may be eaiser to learn than a CA finish. Still working on that also.
Charles

Lenny

Way to go, Lenny. You took a difficult situation and survived it with god looking cast. My first is in the trash. I posted and asked for help which came in abundance. I was and still am very grateful for all the attention the more experienced members poured upon me. Good job and keep up the effort. I think this thing, casting, may be eaiser to learn than a CA finish. Still working on that also.
Charles

Charles, for me It's ALL a work in progress! :biggrin:

but I guess as long as there IS some progress, no matter how slow it comes for me, I'll keep at it! :)

Lenny

Not my fav. color, but I really like the texture on the blanks. Looks really cool!:biggrin:

It wasn't quite what I was going for either. :rolleyes:

This is a shot of the underside ... a little different color showing there.

Attachments

• 1stcastback.jpg
    1stcastback.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 321

Lenny

Cut a blank off this morning and rounded it over just to see what it would look like. I definitely want to pour thicker Next time! :rolleyes:

While it wasn't what I thought I was going to get, I'm happy with it for a first effort.

Attachments

• 1stcastrnded2.jpg
    1stcastrnded2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 338

PenMan1

Congratulations, Lenny!

You made a "turnable" blank on your first outing! It looks like you are now ready to start the "three cup shuffle" and start pouring multi -colored blanks! Thicker IS a better idea!

I wish my first blank had looked this good! Mine looked more like something the dog left:)

ZanderPommo

I think that looks fantastic!
yes you mixed too early and that looks like one color but I miht even try to recreate that if I were you, I know if they stocked that mica I'd buy it!

el_d

Nice blank Lenny. I like it.

My first blank came out OK but what messed up my pen was the fact that I did not reverse paint it.

You could paint the inside a deep purple to darken it.

jfoh

You need to write it all down. Use a index card to record time, temp. items weight, amount of color, how things were mixed and every "mistake" you made. Then later copy that information into a binder. That way you can learn what works and what does not work plus you can duplicate a good pour much easier with a recipe. You will end up with fewer blanks that you do not like and your quality of blank will get much better much quicker than by hit or miss. My notes include what I did and what I want to try next time if I find that something may make it better.

Lenny

Thanks for all the comments and advice. :)

I have one drilled ready for tubes to be glued in .... just waiting till I get some better paint for reverse painting. :rolleyes:

Just checked out Seer's cast ... funny how close it is in color and pattern. It's very cool!

Seer

I did not copy you honestly :rolleyes: I just followed Anthony's directions and a few others. When I get some bigger molds today I am going to try again and see if I can repeat it. Anywasy Lenny can't wait to see yours turned and mine.
Jerry
Thanks for all the comments and advice. :)

I have one drilled ready for tubes to be glued in .... just waiting till I get some better paint for reverse painting. :rolleyes:

Just checked out Seer's cast ... funny how close it is in color and pattern. It's very cool!

Canadian_Kid

I like the mixed in look personally and agree with the others that it should make a fine pen. Did you use any pressure or vacuum on your casting?

Lenny

I did not copy you honestly :rolleyes: I just followed Anthony's directions and a few others. When I get some bigger molds today I am going to try again and see if I can repeat it. Anywasy Lenny can't wait to see yours turned and mine.
Jerry

Jerry, I didn't copy you either :) nor could I had I been trying too! :biggrin:

I'm very excited tonight as I found out the hardware store I stop at has another store across the river, over in Dan's(witz1976) neck of the woods, that carries the Delta creamcoat paint (Thanks again to Curtis and Andy for the recommendation) and I should have some tomorrow night!

Look forward to seeing your pen, too! :)
I can't wait for the temperature to climb .... in the 30's here now. It was 14 the other morning! :frown:

Lenny

You need to write it all down. Use a index card to record time, temp. items weight, amount of color, how things were mixed and every "mistake" you made. Then later copy that information into a binder. That way you can learn what works and what does not work plus you can duplicate a good pour much easier with a recipe. You will end up with fewer blanks that you do not like and your quality of blank will get much better much quicker than by hit or miss. My notes include what I did and what I want to try next time if I find that something may make it better.

I feel like a kid being told to do his homework! :eek::biggrin:

I KNOW you are right! I will try to do better but I never have been good with "paperwork"!:rolleyes:

Lenny

I like the mixed in look personally and agree with the others that it should make a fine pen. Did you use any pressure or vacuum on your casting?

No pressure or vacuum on this one. I did warm the resin in hot (from the tap) water. Held the mixing cups in the hot water as I stirred the mica pigment in. I also set the mold on the bandsaw table for 10 minutes or so with the saw running hoping to create enough vibration to get out any air bubbles. (First time I WANTED my bandsaw to vibrate!) :biggrin:

jfoh

Lenny, it is not that you are a "kid" as much as you are "no longer a kid" anymore. When you take a few notes as you go and then can not only find them but understand them later you will be able to cast nice blanks every time. Well as long as your arthritis, poor eye sight and aching back do not slow you down too much.

When you get a great blank then make another great blank later you will be very happy. If on the other hand you only make one in ten blanks that are worth using then you will soon loose interest in casting. And that would be a shame because the potential cast blanks far exceeds the potential wood blanks. Think about multiple colors, with sparkles and swirls all over.

witz1976

Wow very nice colors you got there Lenny. Much much better than my first cast! Nice to see you entered the realm of casting. Now prepare to go broke:):biggrin:

Lenny

Lenny, it is not that you are a "kid" as much as you are "no longer a kid" anymore. When you take a few notes as you go and then can not only find them but understand them later you will be able to cast nice blanks every time. Well as long as your arthritis, poor eye sight and aching back do not slow you down too much.

When you get a great blank then make another great blank later you will be very happy. If on the other hand you only make one in ten blanks that are worth using then you will soon loose interest in casting. And that would be a shame because the potential cast blanks far exceeds the potential wood blanks. Think about multiple colors, with sparkles and swirls all over.

I'm happy to report that I made an entry (on a pad of paper), recounting to the best of my recollection, everything I did on that cast.
Now, how did you know about my arthritis, poor eye sight (I stack reading glasses one on top of the other) and bad back? Seriously .... How did you know? :)

patmurris

Really nice blanks you managed to cast. When i'll get to trying it too, if the first i do look as good i'll be very glad. That will make a very classy pen.

Top Bottom