Moldmaking And Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoothonjason

Hi, my name is Jason Reese, I am a technical sales rep at Smooth-On, Inc.
I am new to the penturning craft, but would be willing to help with any moldmaking or resin casting questions you have.
Has anyone tried any Smooth-On resins for casting blanks?
Thanks.

Jason
jason@smooth-on.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Send me a sample and I'll gve it a try.:biggrin::biggrin: Welcome and have fun casting...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am new to the penturning craft, but would be willing to help with any moldmaking or resin casting questions you have.
Thanks.

Jason
jason@smooth-on.com

PaulDoug

I didn't read where he mentioned samples... Looks like you buy at the website. It is a pretty busy site and lots to read. I plan on spending some time there.

Welcome to the forum.

PTownSubbie

He didn't mention samples but they do sell a sample kit of their OOMOO silicone kits.

I have been using their OOMOO products for some time now making my own molds. It rocks and is very economical and easy to use!!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks.

Jason
jason@smooth-on.com

I've used the Smooth On resin for castings, but frankly they are a whole lot
more expensive than what we typically use here. (even the expensive stuff)
But I do use the MoldMax 30 for making molds.

RAdams

Banned
WELCOME TO IAP!

Post up some pics of your pens! Ask questions! Or better yet, answer them! (Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!)

As for your question... I have never tried any of your products, sorry. In fact, I was unaware of your company until this thread.

Thanks.

Jason
jason@smooth-on.com

Hey Jason, welcome aboard! I may have talked to you at one point or the other in the last few years. I used Oomoo for my first dedicated blank molds, and knob molds. If you look in my photo file you will see them. The new molds (not pictured) are made with Mold Max40.

I have used the Colormatch 327 with good results for color casting. I like the fact that the blanks really can bounce without any noticable defect. They turn like butter, and polish up very well. You might need a coat of CA to make them super shiney. Of course, as you know, you can't clear cast embedments with it as it has a slight champaign tint. I would like to try some of the Crystal Clear 200.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention- Beware the Cult of Alumilite!

Last edited:

louie

Jason, I just recently made 3 pen molds with Oomoo30. I am very satisfied with the product so far. I still have 1 1/2 starter kits left. I will let you know how they hold up as I use them.

its_virgil

I know he didn't mention samples. I just mentioned I'm willing to try it out otherwise I will continue to use my $$$ to purchase what I know works for me. I would not expect a truck load. Oh well....
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RAdams

Banned
Yep. It is hard not ot think that when including his name, he uses his company name 4 times, has no previous posts, and uploaded no pen photos. Of course i am hoping that he is a penmaker and will come share his knowledge and possibly be a viable source for us all!

RAdams

Banned
Only if you agree wear to the matching belt and carry the matching handbag.

I dont think they had belts and handbags did they? Maybe i was supposed to get my belt and handbag when i got to the comet!!?? Too bad i missed my ride!

smoothonjason

Hey all, this is an EXTREMELY busy forum! Not trying to spam... :)
I am not a penturner. I have worked with a lot of people on encapsulation and moldmaking projects, and have had a lot of experience (and 'learning experiences') with resin and silicone. Fascinated by the embedments and pigmentation techniques you all use. Mind-blowing.

As for the cult of Alumilite :) if it works, use it! There's no reason for me to try to get anyone to switch to our materials if what you are using now is working.

This is a new craft to me. I have worked with woodcarvers before, some of whom turned wine bottle stoppers, but the level of quality and uniqueness of all of your pieces blows me away.

Again, you can always PM or email me directly if you have specific questions, whether they are related to our materials or just moldmaking and casting in general.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Am I the only one that thinks this guy just popped in to spam us???

Could be, or might just be curious too. I know there's another Smooth-On
rep who's been lurking here for a while now.. Introduced him to IAP so he
could understand what my own needs are. Don't know if he has an account
or just reads, but when I take the 250 trek to go visit him, he reminds me of
silly things I've said in here. :eek: so I know he's watching

But he also takes an interest in what I'm doing, and is VERY well prepared
to answer questions when I get there.. and he now has a better idea what
my needs might be, sometimes even before I do.
Unsung Customer Service? :biggrin: HI SCOTT!

Doesn't a Alumilte guy post as well,whats the harm in someone bringing a useful product to the forum.Hay I have no photos in my album,but I have posted things I've made.Welcome Jason i have used the colormatch with good results I use it when casting worthless wood.Only thing is getting a high shine without a coat of CA.I would also like to try the crystal clear but have not due to the cost of it.Thanks for joining the forum,Victor

leestoresund

I'm glad that he hopped on board. I've been trying to make my own silicone molds and am not happy.
With this site I found that he has the product that looks like what I want (resin saver type) and that it has a distributor in Atlanta..
I've read all the posts from the Alumilite folks.
Learned lots.
On another site there was a discussion about micro thin saw blades for the TS. The makers got on board and it was really informative.
If it ain't a post about Chinese plywood it ain't spam, IMO.

Lee

Top Bottom