Millions tiny bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fsyxxx

Hey caster folks - I am using alumilite and have millions of tiny bubbles. It looks great pouring into the cavity I'm trying to fill then it's almost like it foams up and solidifies. No pressure pot but I've done this before with no problems. Any ideas?:confused:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I don't cast alumilite but I'll bet you get the following answer: moisture. Alumilite and any moisture don't play well together.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am using alumilite and have millions of tiny bubbles. It looks great pouring into the cavity I'm trying to fill then it's almost like it foams up and solidifies. Any ideas?:confused:

fsyxxx

The wood is dry, at least not green. I also just tried some in a PVC tube. Did the same thing. It's about 7 months old btw

its_virgil

Even "dry" wood has moisture in it. Relative humidity will put moisture in the wood and every time I have been to Austin the humidity was very uncomfortable. Try drying the wood in a toaster oven for several hours prior to casting. I think those who use alumilite with wood dry the wood for 24 hours or so. But don't let it sit for hours until you use it of the wood will take in more moisture. If you can't use it immediately then put it in a jar with a tight lid or in a zip lock bag.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

The wood is dry, at least not green. I also just tried some in a PVC tube. Did the same thing. It's about 7 months old btw

Jim Burr

Banned
Humidity can play a roll too. The Alumilite in the can is still good, just really touchy to moisture.

fsyxxx

I can understand it in the wood but why would it do the Same in PVC pipe? There is no water there... That's why I wondered if the product had gone off.

Jim Burr

Banned
More details Greg...you're using a vertical PVC mold? Worthless wood casting or just resin? What's the relative humidity in your area?

guardian_0005

I Just solved this exact problem.

I've been having the same issues with my Alumilite clear resin. I mixed in a plastic cup, a paper cup, pressure, no pressure nothing was preventing it and it was a brand new batch. First time ever so I assumed I was doing something wrong. A bunch of emails back and forth with customer service yielded nothing. So, I remembered reading about heating the blank. That didn't work. So then I figured well I'll nuke the resin. So I put A side and B side in microwave for 20 seconds, mixed for around 30 seconds and poured. Wouldn't you know it first clear cast out of 6. lol Give that a try. It may be moisture in the A side or the resin isn't mixing well because of the viscosity. Don't know if it's cold where you are but it's a 20 second attempt that just may work.

Top Bottom