Major fractures - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default Major fractures

I have been casting a while now in purchased silicone molds but yesterday I made 8 blanks in PVC pipe. I'm using poly-resin and love it but I let these cure in the tubes about 8 hours then popped them out. Without exception every ones of them had major fractures. Any clues or hints?
Swftfox is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Incidentally these were paper on painted tubes.
Swftfox is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hello I am casting poly resin in pvc and have had no fractures or problems.
Are you using 10 drops of catalyst per 2 oz. ?
gkingjr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Do you have any photos to show the issue?

I'm only speculating, but it sounds like they overheated.
This can happen in a hot building during the summer when temps are high.
It would take an extreme amount of catalyst to make a small blank fracture. Within a few drops, it shouldn't cause a problem.

Are you sure it's fractures and not the paper lifting, or a reaction of the paint?

A photo might help determine the root cause.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Just guessing as well. If it was working fine in silicone and not causing problems and in PVC is and you didn't change any thing other than the mold I'd start with the mold. I Know that PR shrinks when it's hardening. I'll also assume the silicone mold was a horizontal one. If that's the case I think when the resin is shrinking the silicone flexes and helps with separation. When you use the rigid PVC it's probably sticking the mold and pulling away from the tube. I had that problem before switching to horizontal molds. If not make sure your using plenty of good mold release. If you used a different resin that has very little shrinkage you might not be having these problems. Without pictures it hard to tell what might be going on. If the resin is actually cracking you might be using too much MEPK which would be building up heat and the PVC isn't allowing it to dissipate like the silicone making it crack.
Kenny Durrant is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I'm guessing the horizontal silicone molds are rectangular in cross section and the PVC pipes being round means a lot less wasted resin being turned off the tubes ....

I would suggest that if you want to make the investment and switch over to round blanks you could make your own vertical round molds. Turn something plastic or plastic coat something that's the right size for what you want and then pour a silicone mold of it .... once the mold is cured, remove the object and you should have the shape and size mold you need.

Don't forget to also turn some stub ends to hold the ends of the brass tube from something that your material WILL NOT stick to, in order to keep your item centered in the mold.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I use PVC pipe molds quite often with PR. I also am guessing but heat would be my first question. Perhaps excessive catalyst? Did they come out of the molds easily or was hammering necessary? I would also let them cure more than 8 hours, perhaps the center was still soft and the removal process caused cracks.
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I’m guessing they got too hot in the cure. You only need 2-3 drops per ounce of catalyst to get a nice blank. Let them set up for about 12-15 hours in a room temp place. If they get too hot they crack.
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads