Low Temp Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

What casting material generates the least amount of heat? Need something that will not destroy my cast item as it is somewhat heat sensitive.

MRDucks2

I did some casting this past week using PR (Silmar 41) using clear packing tape as the mold. No leaks, no issues. First time using the stuff but it worked. I would say that is pretty low temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Ed McDonnell

All the resins that I've seen used in pen making will generate heat during cure. The max temp of the cast will depend on mix ratios and/or volume of the cast, so you have some control over it. I suspect that's more important than which resin you use. Doing thin layer casts to build up might help you control temps.

"Somewhat heat sensitive" is a little ambiguous. If > 90f = disaster you will have a hard time casting. If > 150f = disaster you can work around that.

If you don't need a transparent cast, there are powders that you can mix with resins that will help dissipate heat during cure.

Polyester resin can get insanely hot if you use too much catalyst or pour a large volume. It can smoke, belch toxic fumes and burst into flames (hint: dumping all your old mekp into a coffe can with all your old resin to cure it for disposal is NOT a good idea. damhikt).

Ed

Top Bottom