This Looks Very intersting for Stabilization!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I'm new to casting, but unless someone already tried it, looks like it could be worth some further research. I just spent about 10 minutes on the site. Lots of options, viscosities and curing rates. Some others will chime in and give opinions.

While I have not whipped up a batch of Penetrating Epoxy, you can make it yourself, and cut a good deal of the cost. If memory serves our esteemed moderator Curtis aka Mesquiteman posted about his experience with it. It should be an easy search.

Here is a good article about Penetrating Epoxy.
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/penetrating4u.html

Google it- there is a lot of information on the subject.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you look really closely at their blurred picture of "edge penetration" you will notice two things: 1) there are no saw marks in the epoxy on the side, 2) there is a "flow dam" or "edge buildup" where the epoxy puddled before flowing over the edge of the board and down the side. I don't think you are seeing "penetration" at all but rather just "overflow".

I would love to see a real test by someone who isn't affiliated with the company and not trying to sell the product.

GK

SteveRussell

Hello GK,

I think you're on target here... It looks like overflow to me, but it's hard to tell for sure. I would have preferred to see a sharp sawn edge to gauge penetration. That's the way I test my penetration protocols anyway, destructive testing in conjunction with microscopic examination of the cut edge. The site says the mixed viscosity is 570 cPs. SAE 40 Motor Oil can be up to 500 cP, so that's not really very thin. It also says you can mix in solvents to dilute it, but it does not indicate what "mixed" means on the spec's table. I would guess it means when mixed according to mfg.'s recommendation, it would deliver a 570 cPs end result, but this is unclear.

I routinely test finishing, stabilizing and other products in my studio, in carefully controlled scientific protocols, so I may add this one to my upcoming testing schedules to get a better idea of it's performance from a woodturners perspective. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom