Liquid Diamonds question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I did my first liquid diamonds cast and while it resulted in a finished pen I feel like it could have been better. I let it cure for 24 hours and it still felt a little soft so I placed it in a toaster oven for a couple of hours at 150 degrees Fahrenheit. It still felt a little rubbery but I turned it anyway. It turned easily but I think the finish could have been better. Should I have let it cure longer? I mixed it by weight and am wondering if I did not add enough hardener. I mixed a small amount and the precision of my scale may have limited my ability to hit the right proportions. Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dpstudios

I've had that same problem. It' a sign of not enough hardener. I mix by volume and usually go a tad heavy with the hardener and haven't had a problem since.
Goo luck and have fun.

Dan

PatrickR

I like to let it cure at least 7 days. It is very slow to cure fully. After a week it is much less flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I leave it under pressure for 24 hours. I then let sit on the bench for another day. No issues. But a few have complained this week on LD not curing. Apparently there may be a bad batch out there.

its_virgil

Accurate scales and even scales that measure in tenths of grams seem to work. Directions say to mix 2:1 by weight. I do like to follow mixing instructions. I am on my third 1.5 gallon kit for rattlesnake blanks and may not return to using poly resin. I really lik LD. LD does need several days to cure. I have not post cured any in my oven.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JohnU

I agree with Don and Ernie. I also use it on snakeskin blanks and let it sit in the pressure tank for 20-24 hours and then another 20-24 hours on the table before I demold and trim on the bandsaw. It feels a little rubbery coming out of the tank but after the second day it's hard to the touch. I haven't had any issues. I haven't turned one under a week old so I can't comment on that part.

Top Bottom