Liquid Diamonds Hickory Nut Shells - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Default Liquid Diamonds Hickory Nut Shells

The squirrels around me this time of year are working over time to process the Shagbark Hickory nuts that come off the trees. For the ones they eat (I assume they bury some of them), they usually crack the nut in two halves and remove the meat, leaving the nut halves on the ground. I stepped on one of these the other day and was surprised how hard it was, and I wondered how it would cast up. So I gave it a go. I collected some shells and dried them out in a 200 degree oven for 24 hours. For casting, I simply overlapped the halves into a tube, and swirled in an ounce and half of mica colored Liquid Diamonds. I stuck it in a pressure pot overnight at 30PSI. I went light on the mica, as I wanted it to be pretty translucent, or at least I thought that's what I wanted. I called this V1, and I really like the way the shells turned out. It was too transparent for my taste, though, so I doubled up the Mica for V2, and cast a new blank in greens and one in blues. I also tried casting some of the "husks" this time, in red and blue. On the green one, rather than "half shells", I used "eighth and quarter shells", so the shell material in my casting tube was denser.

I really liked the way the green shells turned out, though not wild about the way I left the profile kinda fat on that Zen. I haven't turned the blue blank yet, but I have high hopes. Since the shells kinda remind me of little islands, I used a blend of colors to try and represent a tropical ocean.

I didn't really care for the way the husk blank turned out. It turned fine, but I think they lack character in the way looked in the end. I used a Caballero for kit on that one.

I really prefer Liquid Diamonds for this sort of thing over Alumilite. For me anyway, it's so much more fun to have that long open time. I don't mind waiting the extra day to turn the result. I know it's more expensive, but at an ounce and a half per blank, the cost isn't much of a factor. So far, the squirrel union hasn't organized to start charging me for the shells.
Attached Thumbnails
hickorypen0.jpg   hickorypen1.jpg   hickorypen2.jpg   hickorypen3.jpg   hickorypen4.jpg  

hickorypens-9202.jpg   hickorypens-9210.jpg   hickorypens-9212.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 42

Very cool !!!! . Well done !!

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 172

Cool idea. I think I like the husks best to be honest.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

They look great, you had better luck than my first cast some pecan shells. But my fault, I forgot to dry them.

Curious? Where did you find the tubes you cast in?
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very nice! Ill have to collect a few and give them a try. To me the husk look best also.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Congrats Roy! I favor the green one but they all look great! I hope they are easier to turn than walnut shells. I've cast a few of them like this but those things are like cement. I haven't used liquid diamond resin yet but from your success I'm guessing it's good stuff. Keep up the great work!
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Where did you find the tubes you cast in?
I'm using Uline 3/4" clear plastic tubes:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Tubes-3-4-x-12

I got them a couple of months ago and really like them. I find myself reusing the caps because the epoxy doesn't stick to them, so you can just take them off prior to turning without any damage. They look good post cast, and turn off pretty easily.

I see I can buy 48" versions from a few other places for about the same cost as Uline charges for 12" (Uline is around a 1$/tube). I like the thin wall on the Uline tubes, though, so haven't pulled the trigger yet to try a longer/cheaper alternative.

Last edited by budnder; 10-07-2017 at 12:02 AM.
budnder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, ULine is what I use, I am happy with them. But a dime saved is a dime saved.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 7

All three are winners. Did you have to use a finish to seal them? Sharp pens - congrats.
Gregory Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 6

My favorite is the first; all are beautiful.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads