Leather casting...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I got this idea while looking through the PSI catalogue. They have some denim cast blanks, which I honestly didn't care much for, but it got me wondering... what about casting leather? I bet that would look pretty cool, and it'd be cheaper than snakeskin.

Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

Not cast but here's one I did a number of years ago. The leather was the right thickness for this baron kit. I think you could over turn a plain wood core on the tube for kits that are thicker and those that have tapered barrels.

398C.jpg

398A.jpg

Randy Simmons

Exquisite pen, Jason!

Being that I am not an experienced leatherworker, I might be a little worried about the stitching coming undone. Did you have any problems with it?

jthompson1995

The stitching on the pen is really more decorative. The leather is glued to the tube. This one is still in my personal collection and has not shown any sign of the stitching loosening or fraying.

I'm not extremely experienced in leather working either. Basically I just glued the leather to the tube, overlapping the ends. I trimmed the leather so it butted together for a nice clean seam then trimmed the ends flush with the ends of the tube with a razor blade. Some simple stitching with upholstery thread and a leather needle and it was done. This pen never even went near the lathe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom