Label help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jas46

I've been trying to do some label pours with alumilite clear and have been hit by nothing but problems
I have tried modge podge (matt) and for a time all was perfect but then I started getting cloudy pours ...after demold mainly a few hours after demold ....I let the modge podge dry for 24hrs and it was a thin coat...and sometimes after cure you could see the modge podge ridges and a sort of metallic effect in spots

So I read about people using avery labels so I got some waterproof labels today printed using my laser printer and bang they where perfect....the about an hour after demold they have what I can only describe as a metallic effect to them and as time goes on its getting worse the entire picture has this metalic effect like the resin is either sucking the ink out or not sticking to it
Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong with either the modge podge or the printer versions as it's doing my head in now

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I use waterproof labels from online labels. OL177 part #

I wrap around the tube and let set for 24 hours (although you don't need to wait). I don't coat the label with anything. Make sure you mix alumilite very well. Mix for a few minutes, then pour and put under pressure

I also use an ink jet printer, but that's me

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I've read pritty much all of them mate and can't find much with regards to the metalic effect
The alumilite is coming out soft as well with these type pours but with standard color pours it's solid ....

I use waterproof labels from online labels. OL177 part #

I wrap around the tube and let set for 24 hours (although you don't need to wait). I don't coat the label with anything. Make sure you mix alumilite very well. Mix for a few minutes, then pour and put under pressure

I also use an ink jet printer, but that's me

Don't use Modge Podge!! Don't use anything. I also use high heat engine spray paint from Autozone

jttheclockman

Jas it will help if you post some photos of what you are talking about we may call it something different. Alumilite has a narrow open time so needs to get under pressure quickly. What pressure are you using and for how long before demolding. ?? Many people use CA and do not use mod poge. Not sure hoiw much help I will be because I do not use alumilite.

jas46

You can see the frost silver sort of effect on the black color that's the metallic type that I mean
When it comes out the pressure pot they are a perfect black and white image but after about 3 hrs that silver frost creeps into the whole design.
Pressure wise its at 60psi for and hour then out the pot I've tried 4 hours under 60 psi and it still did it
With the normal color mixes I do the resin is set fully after an hour but with these the overspill at the top of the mold is still soft and is still soft 8hrs later to the point I can bend and roll it up but same pour the color ones are solid....

Mikeyt

I have had the same issues on my casting I would cast 5 tubes all the same labels some would be perfect then others same batch have that metal sheen on them. I would cast with alumilite and with polyester resin same issues.

I started to notice that if I vacuumed and poured carefully into the mold then cast with pressure 40-60 I would not have any issues at all. What I think and this is just me is I think that it is air bubbles that are causing the issue.

I have had no issues in the past 6 months of casting when I vacuum and pour carefully to avoid any bubbles then I put under pressure. My castings are even clearer when done this way instead of just under pressure. I use the Avery weather resistant labels laser printer and jet printer.

That is what I have noticed in my castings this may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JohnU

Don't coat your labels with anything. Alumilite can have reactions to CA and other sealers. Just pour over the labels. Also, warm the resin and labeled tubes and tank with a clamp light for about 15 mins or more before you pour. Warming the resin (part B- the thicker part) can thin it down for easier mixing. Just don't get it HOT or it will cure very quickly in you. When in doubt, let it sit for a little bit to cool to room temp before mixing. Thinner resin will also penetrate and adhere better. This will also remove any humidity from the surface or tank. Also, don't take them out of the pressure tank until they are cured. For alumilite clear I leave them in the tank for 2.5 hours minimum. For alumilite slow I leave them under pressure for 4 hours. Also, set your tank in the sun light or near something warm. This will help them cure. Often when they come out of the tank they can be a little soft or flexible. Just set them aside in the sun for an hour or so and they will harden. If you try to demold them when hey are flexible the resin can pull away from the material creating an air gap or shines later against the label. I hope this helps. Don't get discouraged, your close!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I tried to blow that photo up but can not make it out at all. I would listen to the people who have done this and used that product. But for my suggestion leave the blank in the pot for at least 6 hours. Do not demold till next day. I and many other use a clear spray sealer and no mod podge. I use Testors sealer because I use Testors paper. Sorry but that is all I have.

jas46

Don't coat your labels with anything. Alumilite can have reactions to CA and other sealers. Just pour over the labels. Also, warm the resin and labeled tubes and tank with a clamp light for about 15 mins or more before you pour. Warming the resin (part B- the thicker part) can thin it down for easier mixing. Just don't get it HOT or it will cure very quickly in you. When in doubt, let it sit for a little bit to cool to room temp before mixing. Thinner resin will also penetrate and adhere better. This will also remove any humidity from the surface or tank. Also, don't take them out of the pressure tank until they are cured. For alumilite clear I leave them in the tank for 2.5 hours minimum. For alumilite slow I leave them under pressure for 4 hours. Also, set your tank in the sun light or near something warm. This will help them cure. Often when they come out of the tank they can be a little soft or flexible. Just set them aside in the sun for an hour or so and they will harden. If you try to demold them when hey are flexible the resin can pull away from the material creating an air gap or shines later against the label. I hope this helps. Don't get discouraged, your close!

Hi John
I have tried not coating them as well mate and the results are the same, the pic is of an avery label that is uncoated
I get what your saying about it pulling away and think that's what it was doing on some mod podge ones but the label ones have all this frosted effect, it's almost like the resin is reacting with the ink as it only happens on the inked part never on the bare label.
The thing is when I do a color mix they come out and the resin is hard and crisp but with the label ones it is still so soft and looks like it is still curing as over time the pouring edge starts going milky white over time...and that's the time the labels start getting this appearence on them...
The weights of the resin are bang on to 0.1g and I've even tried adding more A to get rid of the milky appearence
I'm starting to think this might be an alumilite issue now as I've never had the part still soft 8 hours after demould
I put mine on top of my xbox one vents to warm them when they come out lol but I've even tried post curing them in the oven and that makes the frosted effect 100x worse...I've even put one in the fridge hahaha

Last edited:

jas46

I tried to blow that photo up but can not make it out at all. I would listen to the people who have done this and used that product. But for my suggestion leave the blank in the pot for at least 6 hours. Do not demold till next day. I and many other use a clear spray sealer and no mod podge. I use Testors sealer because I use Testors paper. Sorry but that is all I have.

No worries mate any help is help for me mate
I have tried an acrylic sealer but it just soaks into the paper making the paper all wet looking..
Thing is the mod podge worked for a while with no issues then all of a sudden i had the blanks turning milky so I sorted that and now I get it where I can see the mod podge when they are cured, not on all of them though...I'm leaving the mod podge to dry for 24hrs but I'm not sure how long it actually needs..
It's getting frustrating now as they where OK and I can't pinpoint why they are going wrong apart from an resin issue
I always have my resins warm and the shed is warm when I pour so they way I pour is nearly the same everytime....I always mix in plastic with plastic and for about 2 min's till its crystal clear but as said before the color mix ones are rock hard but the label ones are soft when they come out ....like the resin is reacting with the label or ink ...and that frost effect is only ever on the ink never the bare label

Thanks

JohnU

I never had much luck with Avery paper labels. Once I switched to weatherproof it was instant success. The Avery stuff needed to be sealed but the weatherproof stuff -no sealer at all. I'm guessing a contamination between the ink and resin. Nothin water based is good with alumilite. You may have to let the labels air dry a couple days, then seal with a clear coat and let dry another couple days, then cast. Also, Paper labels hold air which causes problems. Weather proof labels are more like a vinyl. Hope this helps, Good luck

jas46

I never had much luck with Avery paper labels. Once I switched to weatherproof it was instant success. The Avery stuff needed to be sealed but the weatherproof stuff -no sealer at all. I'm guessing a contamination between the ink and resin. Nothin water based is good with alumilite. You may have to let the labels air dry a couple days, then seal with a clear coat and let dry another couple days, then cast. Also, Paper labels hold air which causes problems. Weather proof labels are more like a vinyl. Hope this helps, Good luck

Thanks John
The labels I have are the weather proof ones as well mate tried again this morning and it was worse than yesterday's try and that was with the label drying over night lol
I've got no problem with sealing them but it's knowing what to seal them with as mod podge is so hit and miss
I think it's definitely the resin reacting with the ink but I've read that laser ink doesn't need sealing with alumilite .....it apears mine does lol

jas46

I was thinking exactly the same mate, I did buy it when it was on sale so I've got a suspicion it's over the shelf life..we only have one supplier of alumilite here in the UK so really have no choice but to trust them.
I have bought another polyurethane resin so will try that when it gets here to see if that works

cobra51999

I've been trying to do some label pours with alumilite clear and have been hit by nothing but problems

I have tried modge podge (matt) and for a time all was perfect but then I started getting cloudy pours ...after demold mainly a few hours after demold ....I let the modge podge dry for 24hrs and it was a thin coat...and sometimes after cure you could see the modge podge ridges and a sort of metallic effect in spots

So I read about people using avery labels so I got some waterproof labels today printed using my laser printer and bang they where perfect....the about an hour after demold they have what I can only describe as a metallic effect to them and as time goes on its getting worse the entire picture has this metalic effect like the resin is either sucking the ink out or not sticking to it

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong with either the modge podge or the printer versions as it's doing my head in now

Thanks

I had the same problem. I realized I was taking them out of the pot too soon. I started letting them in the pot over night and that worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jas46

Ah cheers cobra I will give that a try tomorrow, I have left them over 8hrs before but they still did the same but will try giving them longer in the pot

Top Bottom