Interference color?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

I've been trying my hand at some PR casting in pvc molds using PearlEx pigment to color the PR. I picked up a kit of sorts of different colors including several known as Interference red, blue, green, etc.

Does anyone know what these look like? Are they something I add into a red, or blue to make it do something?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, and all input is welcomed. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I've been trying my hand at some PR casting in pvc molds using PearlEx pigment to color the PR. I picked up a kit of sorts of different colors including several known as Interference red, blue, green, etc.

Does anyone know what these look like? Are they something I add into a red, or blue to make it do something?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, and all input is welcomed. Thanks!

G'day,

I use plenty of them and they come up beautiful. What Interference colour means is, they are semi transcolours with lots of "pearl" effects and that you don't need much of it in the mix, I would saw about half of the amount you would be using if was a normal Pearlex colours.

These are ideal to used on blanks where semi-transparency is not a problem adding more would make less transparent but then, you would be better using the normal colours however, adding a little interference colour on a matching normal Pearlex colour will the mix to show a lot more Pearl effects that you can enhance by stirring a little the pour when it starts to thicken.

Hope this helps...!

Cheers
George

Camardelle

That is some great info George. Thank you very much. I think on my next pour I'll do one with just the interferon and one with some mixed in.

Thanks again!

Ambidex

That is some great info George. Thank you very much. I think on my next pour I'll do one with just the interferon and one with some mixed in.

Thanks again!

If you can post some before and after or comparison pics, I for one would be interested in seeing them. Thanks!

Camardelle

Will do. I might cut some short pvc tubes and pour a couple of different colors with and then without the corresponding interference powders added in. Should be interesting….

robutacion

Well, this is not my thread but, I feel I could have shown a couple of pics of blanks I made with the Interference and the normal Pearlex colours and one with a mix of both.

I didn't do it them and I know Camardelle is going to also show some examples to I don't think that will do any harm is showing some examples.

Interference
079a.jpg

Regular Pearlex powders
061a.jpg

Mix of both
070a.jpg

Hope this becomes a little more "clear" now:)

Cheers
George

Camardelle

Great samples/examples George and timely as who knows when I'll get a chance to do something like this. I will admit that I did one blank using the interference with one of the colors today. When I demold I'll take a pic and post it here.

Were these with wood or just resin? Thanks!

robutacion

Great samples/examples George and timely as who knows when I'll get a chance to do something like this. I will admit that I did one blank using the interference with one of the colors today. When I demold I'll take a pic and post it here.

Were these with wood or just resin? Thanks!

Well, is easy to see that these are a mix of wood (Brown Mallee burl) and resin (Epoxy), the wood was stabilised with a yellow dye, reason of its colour.

One of the reason I thought in showing these pics is because I have done these very recently and I knew they were perfect for the exemplification however, I and many other here are looking forwards of seeing what you will come up with.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Ambidex

Thanks George! I really like the inter-only...top pic that is. I hope to get back into turning soon and will keep those in mind.:cool:

robutacion

Thanks George! I really like the inter-only...top pic that is. I hope to get back into turning soon and will keep those in mind.:cool:

Sure no problem.

One of the things that most people forget when using the translucent resin colours, particularly for the first time is that, they forget that the brass will be showing through, either painting the tube or reverse paint or both would be necessary and this is where, the various colours possible for this painting can most significantly change the final appearance of the finished barrel/pen, I've seen folks using this technique to create stunning results.

Cheers
George

Camardelle

It would appear that the interference colors give it a ghostlike effect. Looks way cool. I used Interference violet mixed with a blue I think?). I'll post a pic after it's de-molded.

Thanks for the visual George. The characteristics of the Interference colors are much easier to understand now.Good job!

Camardelle

Ok folks, here it is. Keep in mind that this hasn't been turned or polished of course and please excuse the writing. I did several blanks with different colors and this was #6. Oh, and my daughter Kyla has obviously claimed it as her next pen.

It was relatively dark so I put the blank in my decently lit powder coating booth. It's pretty nice and I'm kind of stoked to get it on the lathe. It's a combination of Interference Violet and Misty Lavender, both PearlEx pigment powders.

bILdE3XyNQpchGWiqzmBc3YuesJy3DONr09EMsfZahvas4kz6C5Ojw9poTmx0mSSqcUbzcwywk6WucrYONYzSDWICY20mgmtNSszA97pU3lWBqO7gcqHvonwkzLgR3NZun95Mzrk8pFQm3mmRuaOwXO-AcycwaqhaoxugYuXhKThWyU0T6FgmOU_YY5bhR8hfTkjBFwRILGLwy8secbuJhWZbd1mHf9x6h0uivSLOeRGhavtQhltJDqzHxKYar37HE1PJFNEq3nwW7De9JQmigSbTGkxkpW9Xag5xxAP1cYnDzZdAY-b9ZJXU4WC4YH0LA5bmaQcKZnOMZWehaLSoTNEtmMxsBTRexwz3zG0poBomv1UW19Lq8cB5UjVrWYyKAPUlVuhPdGgeF8i_Cq77IkWj1TMmNDqdQSsX8Vsbk9As9n97xWj6f48U-9M9za6tg5FSFFS9zWqOCLCPrpVl1N31VwLq1DdrLR5sQ6jRSaLMPHVp3Mi8RSnSOBqt5c9Fofg16NhrAZ8X_KiLA8gwn_ydUAyKgc-isb6UD64Ig-PyBoDUY-aU0Y4LHfjmn44h2R_wSeqcUQOjMovb_a1fOgiAaDm2QmmKAAcx1AreroSk0c7=w1332-h999-no

emvxulgkEn393pwswvnefKC9hOygrZ9_TNTLG2HhqtgV4q1VdM4VF2Dc015p3xrDcU8dC6xsa-5FYEtkt_HaZeVU17a3TNfc4smRaie98KbcejNVJZx4-jjlbYxqARCNEsLCJFda_omZNAbqWSCDlCl6df246BH4itS7N0D2z6wh2ZoCHGfGvqR1wNSEZUXfx3-cgzu6RWFzCyWb3WY_tAwZX3chFyUVs8CfWyPX8xft5rt8hQ3thikMuBZu7ZTB30nS8fUGvirKsnmLIQ-0AJYGsfXBpA37aPvZlEREFJaX97na_XBPt5ExMjyNExeKkYSk3jqxMdJ1LhZpOGu-9wGhxHnefZttpbEjKjX85iLMyVecL5Bq0FnkgRuDTxDybISRcdpFuX7PvDc5J5kEWUw_xMUh4j_gMyFULBq8utvTRoH8eI9jVXYWXP6mJVb3GCKOBs9exxl585WFLnQ40STHEwWTQHOGzI8wropME0NE3va9pMxi51hMEcC9gKwUi4m5J4t93MrWrOg7gw6eE4kUz_6CP43euoKK8X4vFHlB1jKNbtqYs_3mGMmOTZkSEbJ_Tv4qxs9LOK03d3-14QSDngKBqHu1RcIoFb1Mfj5mxwxN=w750-h1000-no

VIrIXMUy3Jslp3ErqYnsK1oQjHqidjix2Icm0MPucB_HgZU0wwC9m7kv2d-N7ZUI2tIfhV05S6NiNLvAO2XnXsU88HfPObA94R5lEt_4DDCxCtceOE_dFvaT8f_PipLsdie8rq0c74dXm20IC6byevnl0ftoEiELbg5NUyGfJr3drR2dW59JxmK4Pw_h2TK4MPz3ORn0HuXrKtFgpUg96HC7C0rzOrJojiMXPefrQ0I9Otplb6jBvhA4GisDQ5w7f0vuuG7thNJPtFqWNpYtKFnvug0nEmdQmHsItpytWSDiQkgYeJldUkjB3M0tTliI0hePsCTu3kaSymmgeMMvYNE7ysuYCb7cUJQQ9SmnMDXFyJ_qUod_rhKZKgVQGtXTFL9lqbDA70BQhqARhhQ9CnSzUQWjDxh0k52tyjbNQlIrHfFRr_VetcDXVvX7tp2U1-BH7k3ghH7_gHnpsOV-6t4Z7UNzYi0DD7mU0KSUCNTsHxzqELlifgITsUJ09QVhq6qeiYh7aOvJdNwTyfOqKAPRMfVkf0xjbmiRVOv2wfRDpLMjrPY8oVcprH5opwvKx1Byvz9h5Nh3tnAV55zvjezL31UhzB4F279RkBZTI8ktfQGf=w750-h1000-no

Last edited:
Top Bottom