I went and did it!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddS

Well, I'm pleased with my efforts. And I owe a great deal of gratitude to the many individuals on the forum. They may not know about my gratitude yet, and I'll certainly provide some thanks where thanks is due, but I've done a ton of research on casting and I'm slowly obtaining my equipment. I went with the 2.5 gallon C.A. Tech pot. I make my living as a medic and I know many users use the Harbor Freight pot, but I just couldn't go with a pot that has a larger history of malfunction and.........well............blowing up. I'm also obtaining some dyes and coloring materials, most certainly resin (I'm going to go with Alumilite first and then I might transition into experimenting with some Silmar41 in the future), along with some molds from Fred Wissen. So excited I can hardly stand it!!!!! I thoroughly enjoy turning pens, along with a multitude of bowls and platters, and this is going to take me to a whole new level of capability. I do have a tendency to overthink things, so you'll see more postings from me (along with pics) to get some ideas from the masters on this forum. IAP has a great thing going!!!! A big shout out to Don Ward (its virgil) and Mark Koster (Marko50) for their posts. Learned a lot by looking at their forum posts and doing some research on their stuff online.

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

I cast with Alumilite also and much prefer it over other resins that use MEK. It is nice being able to cast without fumes. However, something to remember is just because Alumilite doesn't smell doesn't mean it won't irritate you. My wife loved to cast with me, but she has to wear a respirator, long gloves and long sleeves. She breaks out all over from it, even if she is in the room recently after it is cast, or touches it before it is hardened all the way.

I find it so much easier though, since I'm not a chemist or have a weather station to figure out how much MEK to use based on temperature and humidity and whatever else negatively impacts it!

You'll love it and go through lots of resin at first I'm sure.

Good luck and have fun!

Skie_M

Whenever you are casting ... whatever you are casting with ....

ALWAYS have spare molds left over for your overage.

YOU WANT TO HAVE MORE THAN YOU NEED. You just don't want to have WAY MORE than you need. Having a little extra left over to fill a spare mold is better than a ruined project because you didn't have enough!

robutacion

Whenever you are casting ... whatever you are casting with ....

ALWAYS have spare molds left over for your overage.

YOU WANT TO HAVE MORE THAN YOU NEED. You just don't want to have WAY MORE than you need. Having a little extra left over to fill a spare mold is better than a ruined project because you didn't have enough!

I absolutely agree, material are just too expensive too waste and is always very safer than sorry, huh...?

Casting is very self-rewarding, I can tell that much...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom