I pulled the trigger...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

I set up my HF pot this weekend.
I got all the fixtures attached, and pumped it up to 40 lbs.

(you didn't tell me about the crackling noises it would make, it freaked me out a bit!)

First pump I got a blast of air out from under the lid. I lubed the gasket lightly with some white lithium grease and pumped it up again.

I stopped at 40 pounds, and it held stead for 3 hours... so I declared victory.

Hopefully, I can slip a piece or two into it and see how I do. I'll make a tray for the inside at some point, but am anxious to give this thing a trial run.

Thanks to all for the chatter and all of the insight this forum provides.
2_2018-07-21_18.17.48.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to the rabbit hole! Making blanks is about as fun as turning them. It's always a surprise to see what you'll end up with, not to mention both saving money and creating your own personal style of blank.

MDWine

Good tip on water fill, didn't think of it much, just started pumping away. I actually pumped to 10, let it go, then 20, let it go, 20, then 40. Most of what I have read indicate 40 is sufficient for bubble removal, but I will feel that out as I experiment. (I move slowly and tend to be very cautious.)

We did a lot of casting 6 or 7 years ago, before we knew about all the different types. We stirred it up, and banged it on the table a couple of times to try to get the bubbles out. It did a fair job.

This is my first foray into attempting to cast a clear blank, looking to make some jewelry kinds of stuff, and possibly some hybrid blanks at some point.

As usual, life gets in the way and my plans for my first cast have been delayed. I hope to take some time Saturday morning to whip up a small batch.

I certainly will post what happens.

MDWine

I hurriedly put together a first cast last night.
I got some silicone molds to make a paperweight, and colored the Alumilite blue.

NOTE TO SELF: It does not take much of that blue to make it REALLY BLUE! Next time, try a drop at a time to reach the desired effect.

I had to decompress the pot to tighten the lid, I am still learning how much to crank down on those "keepers"... I finally got it to stabilize at 55 pounds. I will be curious to see how much pressure it held over 24 hours.

This weekend I'll bust a few pen blanks and try to cast a few more. I want to make some silicone molds just for pendants, I think...

The mix I used had a lot of bubbles, I think I may have introduced a wee bit of moisture using the stick used for stirring. I think I will look for some plastic stirs.

We'll see how it goes... I'll keep ya posted!

MDWine

Lots of good news.
The pressure pot held 55 pounds for the 24 hours.
The piece came out perfectly with no bubbles and no blemishes.
With the exception of the color the piece is exactly what I wanted.
I do have a picture but it is not a good one and is not remarkable enough to post.

I am going to run another batch this afternoon and try to get the color that I want. I may even try to introduce a piece of wood into the cast, we'll see.

I don't expect to be cranking out casts by the dozens but it is fun to Tinker with amid all the other projects I have in the works.

MDWine

I wanted to post pictures of my latest cast, it came out exactly as I wanted it... clear and clean. The pressure pot continues to hold solidly for 24 hours, I am so thankful!

I'll post a picture in the next day or so, I just ran out of steam last night.

Funny, I posted a pic of the last cast on FB, now everyone wants one. I'm anxious to see their reactions when I make the pieces I really want.

MDWine

This is the first cast, not sure the amount of Alumilite, but 2 drops of the A'lite dye, and you can't see through it at all! I was surprised it took so little to color the amount of resin I had.

42003636430_0be0f444db.jpg

Last edited:

MDWine

Second cast, still too much dye.
I think the "fog" around the edges are a result of me adding more resin/hardner after I put the dye in the cup. It cured OK, but is still too dark. You can see my failed attempt to cast the resin with some wood. I did not seal the "mold" well enough, and it leaked out. Just as well, it was "foggy" too.

42003636470_63d0a240d6_z.jpg

Last edited:

MDWine

FINALLY! EXACTLY the color I wanted, and clear as a bell. My wife and my grandaughter both want pieces. So, this weekend I will try to make a mold for two or three blanks... in for a penny, in for a pound. (what did he say about getting hooked?)

42003636540_05bf5d70e9.jpg

Top Bottom