I need red

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

I use Pearl-Ex for most of my pen blanks, but they don't have a great red. I am from a state that likes things red (Go Big Red!!!) I am curious if anyone has found a good source of mica powder that is actually red (as in Cornhusker Red)? I have tried a few based on the pictures provided, and they all turn out to be a variety of pink. Any help would be great, thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

I don't believe there is a true red mica. They are all a pink or maroon variation. You could try the red tint from CC and add some mica of the maroon shade for effect.
I have just about every red (or has red in the name) mica from all of the big manufacturers and some from the smaller ones, and they are all the same colors. No true red like the Coke can red.
Even if you look at red vehicles, they are not truly red, not the newer paint with the mica. Old paint was single stage without the mica and red was available.

jttheclockman

Check with Jonathon Brooks. He is the king of casters. He gets some of the most intense colors you can ask for. He has helped me before.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I use the stuff and its red. The picture on the webite picks up the glare of either a light or Flash from the camera. If you cut the blanks down thin enough and back paint the tube white it will show pinkish
If you back paint it red or grey or black it will be red. Like most mica use a red dye along with the mica and paint your tubes to hide the brass.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here are 3 quick shots in the afternoon sun. the red container is a Folgers Coffee container for comparison.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 342
  • redblank 2.jpg
    redblank 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 326
  • red blank 3.jpg
    red blank 3.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 303

H2O

That is the maroon/burgundy side of the red micas. Still not a true red.
Did you add red dye or tint to it?

Eric1075

Red

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy used Powder Coat paint powder from Harbor Freight. The color was good and seemed to work fine. Its around $6 for a 1 lb container.

Brooks803

Thanks guys, I just contacted Jonathan, and will see what he has to say.

Hey Dan. Sorry, but I haven't seen a message from you.

There isn't a bright red mica that I've been able to find. I make a lot of college color blanks and the best thing I've been able to come up with is mixing a pigment paste (like here: Colored Pigments) and add a blend of pearlX macro pearl (which will turn it a little lighter) along with a small touch of the red micas that others have suggested to tone it back down. You won't get a super pearlescent blank, but it will have that movement of one.

KCW

Thanks guys, I just contacted Jonathan, and will see what he has to say.

Hey Dan. Sorry, but I haven't seen a message from you.

There isn't a bright red mica that I've been able to find. I make a lot of college color blanks and the best thing I've been able to come up with is mixing a pigment paste (like here: Colored Pigments) and add a blend of pearlX macro pearl (which will turn it a little lighter) along with a small touch of the red micas that others have suggested to tone it back down. You won't get a super pearlescent blank, but it will have that movement of one.

Well that was strange, I just checked my sent messages, and you are right the message isn't in there. I'm glad you found this post anyway, and it sounds like it will definitely be some trial and error finding the right color.

KCW

I get all my Mica powders from these guys. Have always had good luck with them and fast accurate shipping. You may like one of theirs reds.

SHOP ONLINE - MATTE PIGMENTS - Wholesale Cosmetic Pigments

Some of those reds look promising, but you can never tell from the picture what they will actually look like. I would get some samples to try, but they are not available, and there is no way I am going to dish out the kind of money they want for 4 ounce batches. Even if the red was right, I don't know that I would spend over $10 and ounce for it, and that is for the cheapest one. Thanks for the link, I will have to keep my eyes open for the samples to become available again.

Top Bottom