I need help with casting carbon fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSU1980

This is my first attempt at casting. I slid the carbon fiber sleeve over the tube and dripped Stickfast CA on the carbon fiber. Let the tube dry for two days and then I casted it.

Below are pictures of my mold how a caste tube came out and the one I turned.

I used Aluminite Water Clear, pressurized the castings for 2 hours at 40psi. Removed the mold and took inside for the night.

Came home from work, took the blanks out of the mold and then turned the one blank. I didn't notice the area that appears that the resin didn't adhere to the carbon fiber.

The resin cured for around 21 hours before I turned it.

Any help as to what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01127.jpg
    DSC01127.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Tim I've only used Alumilite a few times so I'm limited on the tips I can give. I agree that it's separation so I would guess the resin wasn't mixed or weighed precisely or trapped air was the cause. Rather than me guess I'll tell you what I do and maybe you can pick up a few ideas to add to your method. First I paint the tube black then I use Epoxy Glue to glue the fiber to the tube. This is the messy part for me because I literally put an excessive amount of glue on the tube. I like to see the glue ooze through the fiber when I stretch it to tighten it on the tube. I take the excess that oozes out and smear it all over to help seal any voids in the fiber. I let set for a couple of days then cast. I hope this helps.

JohnU

I've cast lots of carbon fiber but only with polyresin and never alumilite. I get very little failures with Polyresin Silmar 41.

jttheclockman

I do the same as John. I too always use silmar but I also glue the fiber to the tube using the resin. No glues.

MarkD

Been there, found that Alumilite does not work well for that application. As the others have said, use polyester resin is better for application.

Top Bottom