I MUST stabilize....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwc

Ruined two really nive amboyba blanks today. I really need to learn to stabilize. I have alot of unstabilized Amboyna burl that I don't want to touch now until it's stabilized.

This is something I wanted to do over the winter anyway...now my plans have accelerated a bit.

I have read all the posts here and all have bits and pieces of the whole process but I do not have it all connected in my limited brain.

I'm going to get the HF pot. I have a compressor. Do I need pressure? Vacuum? or both to stabilize? I assume for vacuum I really need a vacuum pump?

What do I need in order to plumb the pot properly for both?

ahhhh...yes...and resin...which resin?

Sheesh...I really need a mentor here....LOL

Sorry for all the question marks above but if I don't ask my Amboyna bill is just going to keep getting larger.

THANK..you.!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you've read all the posts here you would know that most do not use resin.
Try the archives under search.
There is a lot of material going back over two years.

kenwc

Thank you Eagle...perhaps I was using he word resin loosely...but so are most of the links that I searched on Google. The majority indicate a resin or resin like material is used. Particularly the knife making websites that describe using resin to stabilize knife scales.

its_virgil

Or, you could have it done, professionally, for you. Runs about $1 per blank or a little more. It is well worth the price from my viewpoint. I've already ducked...[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JimGo

I'm with Don. You COULD stabilize them yourself, but for what some of the services recommended here charge, it will be cheaper to send it out, especially when you factor in the cost of your time.

kenwc

Thank you and yes I'm considering that as well to get me by while I learn how to stabilize my own. I'm sure it's cheaper than loosing a few amboyna blanks. I've looked into the River Ridge website and there's one other and the name escapes me now.

Jim...did you evr figure out what that spalted wood was?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you want the inconvenience of sending it out ,waiting for it to be done, waiting for it to be sent back to you go ahead and send it out.
CA is cheap and convenient.
I have not had a need to send anything out to stabilize and I doubt if cross cut red palm is less difficult to turn than your amoyna burl.
I have stabilized my own corncobs and realized that home stabilization will no replace a commercial service.
I just don't see a need for it provided I hone my tools and use CA.

bob393

I have never cut a commerically stabilized blank. That said, I harden, stabilize, difficult stuff with thin CA and cut away. My current project is 90 deg stacked 3/4" birch plywood.
I'm in the process of testing Minwax Wood Hardner as a stabilizer.
Who Knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom