How to swirl resin colors properly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikepet

I am getting a bit better at resin, but still having some issues.

Lets say that I have 3 cups, with 3 colors of resin. I add the MEKP and let them sit for a while, stirring.

In theory, I figure they will start hardening a bit, becoming more solidified...a thicker syrup.
Once sufficiently thick, I will pour into the mold, mixing the 3 colors via pouring. That way, they won't just dissolve into each other and I can get a nice swirl.

In practice, they sit there seeming unchanged. Until, all the sudden, one of them turns into a gel. I try to pour and it comes out as a giant slug. I wind up mixing the other 2 colors around the slug to get them somewhat mixed.

How do you do it such that a color does not become a slug, but does not dissolve into the other colors?

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Take lots of notes as you go. If using PR, it's about the 16 minute mark for me on a mid 90's degree day. 16 minutes and it turns to gel. I've found that some blues turn quicker and some reds take 20 minutes.

I keep a detailed list as I go. What the temp, humidity, time, amount of resin, amount of pigment, color of pigment, and drops of mekp all on a sheet. I also keep track of gel time.

I typically swirl my resins around the 15 minute mark with Silmar 41

mikepet

Ok, thank you. I was hoping there was some way to tell when stirring or something. It just seemed to go from the same to POOF...gel.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
i use small popsicle sticks to stir. You can tell as it starts to get syrupy. That's when you want to pour it

Top Bottom