How to store 5 gallon PR in "useful" containers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

My next order will be for five gallons, as I go through a single gallon pretty quickly, and when ordered at five gallons, the price works out to a free gallon.

The metal gallon containers are unwieldy enough...I can't imagine how bad five gallons will be.

Are there any plastic containers out there I can recycle that PR won't dissolve? The shape of the metal can, with that offset mouth, is a horrible design if you aren't pouring a whole gallon at a time. If something like a milk jug or detergent jug would work, I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Yes! there are in fact containers that Label Master sells that i personally use and they work perfect! 1gallon containers at that!

I actually bought item# KP128F (1Gal.)64oz capacity 38/400 mouth
Lids for the 1Gal container are going to be (caps 38/400)

I called my order in and this was how i was able to come up with the correct information. My total bill included 4ea(1gal jugs)w/ lids and 2ea (64ounce jugs w/ lids) and was only $17.86

Last edited:

seamus7227

Here is a picture. The cans look like anti freeze bottles without the labels.

ForumRunner_20130210_001530.png

Last edited:

jbswearingen

Thanks, Seamus. Just what I need.

Gary, I don't know that they won't work, but if they're the "wrong" type of plastic, the PR will dissolve them.

Sylvanite

Milk Jugs

Milk jugs work great for me.

They, or any other HDPE (recycle code 2) containers are good for holding polyester resin. Just wash them out completely and let dry fully (sloshing a few ounces of acetone around inside and draining also helps remove any residual water) before filling.

The attached picture shows a 1 gallon milk jug on top of a 5 gallon pail of Silmar 41. I decant resin into the milk jug (which is about 1/3 full at the moment) and pour from that.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Attachments

• Silmar41.jpg
    Silmar41.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom