How to make colors darker?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Just getting into mold-in casting. Did a cast and the colors (blue/white/silver in three separate layers) looked good in the mold. After turning, they were much lighter (painted tube white). Is there a way to get, say the blue, to be darker? I have the 24 assortment of Pearlex mica and the blue really isn't that dark--can I mix another color with it? I'm looking for a dark Navy blue.

I know painting the tube black would probably do it, but I'm afraid it would show through the lighter colors.

Thanks!

Michael

PS I am using PR w/no pressure.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Part of your problem was painting the tube white. White will tend to wash out colors. Especially if they may have been translucent colors. When I have multiple colors, some dark, and some light, I use a medium silver or gray.

You may also be using to little of the pearl powder. When you have the resin mixed with your color, wipe of the stir stick as clean as possible and then put it back into the resin. Raise it out. If you can immediately see the stick color, you don't have enough pearl powder.

You can add a small amount of black mica to the blue. Just use a little at a time. Do not use black dye. It will mute the pearl effect.

PR_Princess

Michael try adding a little liquid blue dye to your mica/resin mix. That should help darken the mix, without loosing the effect from the mica.

There are a couple of different brands, but the Casting Craft makes a nice blue and it is readily available. A little goes a long way with dye, so add just a small amount at a time until you get the shade you are looking for.

Last edited:

mecompco

Thanks for all the advice, guys and gals! I'll look into getting some liquid dye, and some silver paint. I was going for the "Cowboys" colors--Navy, silver and white. Next up is a two layer pour of Navy and grey (our school colors).

On my first attempt at this pour (which ended in disaster as the PR set up in the cup) I put too much powder in and it didn't seem to totally mix so I put less in this time. I know this is a learning experience!

Regards,
Michael

PS I noticed the PR took some of the paint off the tube (it had dried for a couple of days). Would a layer of clear coat over the paint stop this?

BSea

One other thing you can use to get navy is adding blue darkstar to your blue. You can get it from Wholesale Cosmetics.

Here's one I made Using Dark Blue, Silver and White. I got the dark blue doing what I describe above. You can do the same thing by adding black to blue, but I had the blue darkstar, so that's what I normally do.
Da Boys pen 2 small.jpg

I just added The blue darkstar to my regular blue till I got the blue I was looking for.

Last edited:

chartle

PS I noticed the PR took some of the paint off the tube (it had dried for a couple of days). Would a layer of clear coat over the paint stop this?

Not sure but I think you are casting on the tube not drilling and gluing.

If casting on the tube people have posted that nail polish works better.

If drilling and gluing don't use CA but epoxy.

Also check out this more about how paint color affects finished color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOb1UJnqdY

Last edited:

mecompco

Bob, that is beautiful. I was kinda going for that swirl on my first try, where my three cups of PR instantly turned to "colorful snot". This try I just did three separate layers.

Cliff, yes, I meant to say "tube in". And yes, I dispensed with using CA to glue in tubes fairly quickly (after one got stuck 2/3rds of the way in). I use 5 min epoxy, color added to match tubes, if necessary, and let dry at least 24 hours. Have not blown a blank up yet using this method. I'll try some nail polish and see how that works.

Regards,
Michael

BSea

Bob, that is beautiful. I was kinda going for that swirl on my first try, where my three cups of PR instantly turned to "colorful snot". This try I just did three separate layers.
Regards,
Michael
Thanks Michael. Anybody who pours has had their share of "colorful snot" failures. It's just part of the territory of pouring. The more you pour, the less it happens, but it still happens.

Top Bottom