HF Pressure Pot Lid Seal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

Fellow IAP member seamus7227 gave me a great hint on getting a tight seal on the lid of my pressure pot. He suggested using a light coating of plumbers silicone grease on the rubber seal; worked great for me ...

Last edited:

workinforwood

Vaseline works great. I can tell you by experience don't use motor oil or wd 40. Those products over time dried out and ruined the rubber seal. I think they must have soaked right into the rubber and broke it down over time.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Sometimes you can't get a good seal when tightening the lid by hand. I have to use a pair of pliers and give mine about 1/2 more turn on each wingnut to get a good seal. If you do this, be sure the second one you tighten is opposite the first one, not next to it, then the last two.

workinforwood

Make sure the pot isn't warped in any way too. Not at all uncommon with that cheap hf stuff. It's like flea market quality and if the pot is at all warped it will blow up...has happened to many of us. I prefer the ca technologies pot. Far better quality plus slightly larger diameter inside.

Sylvanite

I find that even pressure on the lid screws is equally as important as firm pressure. That is, over-tightening a screw will cause the seal will leak just as under-tightening will. I align the lid, turn each screw until they make contact and then tighten each one (in opposite pairs) a little more. I keep a crescent wrench nearby so that I can adjust things after pressurization should the seal leak.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Plus, once you get it sealed properly, I make a mark with a sharpie on the side of the lid and the tank so I can get the top repositioned the next time.

I got some rtv (silicone will work too) and put it on a level surface, propped up with some wood, leveled it with a digital level, and poured a new gasket. Works way better.

Top Bottom