Help! Wrap de laminating from tube during casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I tried to wrap my first tube tonight and it did not go well. I wrapped it and left a decent overlap I thought. I was using Silhoute printable silver foil and hvac tape for the bands. I don't have a fancy ptownsubbie mold so I made one out of hitting board material. The cast is clear but during the process it appears the foil came off of the blank! It has an adhesive backing to it so I don't know how to keep this from happening in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 315
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MIKL

i haven't used a printable foil before (didn't know the animal existed) but personally i would treat it like a label cast and give it a couple of coats of CA before adding the armor plates

the resin might have dissolved the adhesive on the foil, the CA should seal the seem and stop that from happening

make sure you allow at least 24 hours before casting after the CA

it also looks like the tubes were not sanded???
i always give my tubes a scuff with 80ish grit sand paper before adding anything that sticks to the tubes, it will also remove any residue on the tubes from manufacture

i hope this helps

MIK

lhowell

i haven't used a printable foil before (didn't know the animal existed) but personally i would treat it like a label cast and give it a couple of coats of CA before adding the armor plates

the resin might have dissolved the adhesive on the foil, the CA should seal the seem and stop that from happening

make sure you allow at least 24 hours before casting after the CA

it also looks like the tubes were not sanded???
i always give my tubes a scuff with 80ish grit sand paper before adding anything that sticks to the tubes, it will also remove any residue on the tubes from manufacture

i hope this helps

MIK

Great! I will try that! Yeah, no sanding of the tubes. Thank you! Yes, the foil I found on Amazon. It is called Silhoutte printable silver foil. May be able to get it outside the U.S.??

Racer3770

I got into label casting recently and got some great advice. I now use a little bit of resin and paint it on the tube and let it dry before I pour the whole mold. It definitely strengthens the bond between label and resin. Just something to try!

lhowell

I got into label casting recently and got some great advice. I now use a little bit of resin and paint it on the tube and let it dry before I pour the whole mold. It definitely strengthens the bond between label and resin. Just something to try!

Thanks! I am using Alumilite, not PR. Found an article in the library that said to hit it with some clearcote acrylic sealer. I'll try the method again with the above techniques and see what happens! Hopefully next cast will have better results! Thanks!

Top Bottom