Help needed in casting Tanned snakeskin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dorno

Hi Everyone I am looking for some advice in casting some tanned snake skins. A few months ago while in Bali I got talking to the guy in the Leather /handbag making shop about purchasing some small bits of the skins that he used to make all the handbags that they sold so after a little negotiation he managed to sell me some small pieces of the skins that they use and what I would like to do is cast some to try and make some blanks. I am hoping someone on here can tell me the best way to go about it ? and what works for them :) any help will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to what you all have to say ?

Kind Regards Ian

Ps these are some of the skins I have

Attachments

• IMG_7773.jpg
    IMG_7773.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 275
  • 1 Skin.jpg
    1 Skin.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 347

its_virgil

Several articles in the library would be helpful to you to read. Some tanning chemicals tend to react with the resin (polyester resin) and the skins turn very dark if not black. But, be aware that even those of us who do a lot of snake skin casting have our share of failures. I would suggest you practice on other materials before using the skins. There have been a couple of threads recently on casting which also have some good advice. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JohnU

I agree with what Don said above. Get some other skins and practice with those to fine tune your process. That will help lower the failure rate but I haven't found any process fail proof. Also, you may want to check out sealing the skins proir to pouring the resin, since they have colored dyes on them, so they don't bleed color into the clear resin. Good luck and looking forward to seeing those pens.

Top Bottom