Help - my blue stabilizing resin didn't!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

I need some help and am confused and lost. I used 8 drops of alumilite dye in about 1 quart of StickFast stabilizing resin. Nice and blue (see the vacuum chamber pict) went for a good while and saw virtually no color in the wet blanks. I went ahead and baked them and have a coat of blue resin on them; but, the blanks are basically not colored.
So,
am I way off on the concentration?? A lot more dye?? Is there another source of dye for stabilizing?? Should I just attempt to use very strongly concentrated dye directly and stabilize after with clear resin?? Reading more I am finding powder dyes (KEDA??) that are mixed in DNA, is that the route to go?? Did I waste my resin???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I can 2 possible causes, one is definitely the amount of the alumilite dye you used, it needs a lot to get a medium blue and for a dark blue well, I use 1 full bottle of dye in a 1 gallon Juice.

I have discussed this exact situation on some stabilization threads/posts, I could not believe you dark the juice has to be to transfer some decent amount of colours into the wood, did I manage to get a deep blue..?? I sure did, look attached pics...! Don't despair, you will get if the next time, and will be no Juice throwing at all, you just keep adding blue dye until you get the colours you want, but as I and others have said, you can't be generous with that dye. I don't know how many drops one of those bottles has but, you can work it out but volume and or weight.

I don't know how much an empty bottle will weight (I have some in the shed if necessary), I have already told you the amount I used to get a decent blue so, you work out the volume of Juice you want to dye and calculate the amount of dye that way...!

The other issue that, may have something to do with no signs of any blue to be seen in the wood is that, you may not dried the wood sufficiently, and unless you do, the dye will not penetrate much at all...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 025 (3).JPG
    025 (3).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 323
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 605
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 405
My blue comes out green. I guess it is mixing with the yellowish color of the buckeye burl. Has anyone tried bleaching the wood with clorox bleach, drying and then color stabilizing? Also, would doing a first dye in white resin, bake and then stabilize in a dark color work?

low_48

Household bleach won't do much to wood except adding moisture. If you want to change the color of the wood, use a two part wood bleach. Most everyone pays extra for color in buckeye. Can't help you with stabilizing and dye.

robutacion

I can also tell you that, with the Alumilite dyes (the ones I use from Curtis), the blue does tend to become green(ish), even if you use lots of blue dye.

The best dark blue I get is when I mix 3 parts blue and 1 part red dyes, the red will push the blue into a purple however, in these referred quantities the blue resulting is a lot darker then if I mixed 5 dye bottles into a 1 gallon of Juice.

You folks try it and let us know the results...!

PS: Hope this helps:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom