Help with Ganddaughter Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

My 10 year old Granddaughter was here for Christmas and brought 8 people of various ages with her. The decibel level in the house has sadly decreased today.

Anyway, she and I were looking at some of the things I make, and she told me about a pen she saw at a craft show in Northern Virginia. From her description, I've concluded it was a single barrel twist pen, with a mixed blue and green ceramic barrel.

I confess that I am not very good at mixing colors of resin and have not been very happy with the results. I don't want anyone to give away any secrets, but what is the best way to get a nice pattern with two colors? What type of mold should I use (horizontal or vertical)? Do I let the resin set up a little so the colors are easier to mix and don't simply produce a third color? What tool works best to mix them? Any other suggestions? I am using PR without a pressure pot.

I appreciate any help you can provide, and I'm sure my Granddaughter will enjoy the pen!

Brian G

I don't have the years of experience that some of the master casters have, but maybe these thoughts will help.

I use vertical molds of PVC pipe. That's just a preference, because I seem to have better success with avoiding the colors blending together.

Take notes, like the number of drops (or scoops, or stirstick tip ends) of the coloring you use, the number of drops of catalyst, and the time you added the catalyst and the time you poured.

I mix the coloring into the PR and mix it thoroughly before adding the catalyst. That way, I can make color corrections without having to worry about it setting up before I get it just right.

I like to use Castin' Craft dye (or any dye suitable for PR) as a base color if I can. Then I add the pearlex. I mix this thoroughly, but try to avoid introducing air bubbles. I might wait 15 to 20 minutes to let air bubbles float to the top before adding catalyst. This is a good time to measure PR and mix the colors for a second set, or third set, or fourth set. . . :)

For me, and this likely will be different for you (this is why you take notes), I notice the viscosity changing at about 15-20 minutes after adding the catalyst. I like to have it "feel" like I'm stirring karo syrup or molasses. When it gets to that point, it's time to pour.

When I pour, I follow BSea's advice. I pour about one-third, then switch cups to the other hands, pour about a one-third, then switch cups to the other hands again.

I don't try to keep the pour rate equal between colors. Sometimes I let a glug of one and a drizzle of the other drop. Let them run together a little, run them across the sides, pour one, then the other down the center, alternate, etc.

I haven't figured out whether stirring is necessary. I don't think it is for two colors, unless I'm trying for a more mixed look. I use a thin piece of wire, maybe like the spiral notebook gauge, with a small loop in the end and a bend or two along the length. I drop it in the mold before pouring, then pull it out after the pour, making one or two swirling motions. No need to actively stir! Just let the turbulence of pulling out the bendy and looped wire do the job.

Last edited:

jimmyz

Thanks Mark for the suggestions. I know that trial and error are probably best when it comes to new things, but I'm in a little bit of a time crunch to get it done by her birthday which is coming way too Soon!

I will try your suggestions and any others that get here in time. In the meantime, measure, mix, stir, pour, and see what happens.

Top Bottom