Help finding molds for vertical casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

So i've been toying with the idea of casting my own pr blanks and I've finially decided to go for it and like anyone who's decided to start something new I realize that I have no idea where to start :confused:.

So naturally I'm going to pepper everyone here with questions until I figure out what to do.:biggrin:

1) What is a good brand/size of PR for someone just starting out to get?

2) What would yield better mixing results, vertical or horizontal casting?

3)I tried making my own silicone mold only to have it not work, what would be a good alternative that would be easy/cheap to make for either vertical or horizontal casting?

4)Is pearl ex a good brand for color additives? Will the power alone provide the shimmer and swirls seen in everyone's blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I have only been casting for a short while. But here is what I discovered.
1. Cast n craft from Micheals (or other craftstore) is good to start.
2. Vertical molds out of pvc makes the blanks round already and yields very little pr useage.
3. Their are people (not sure if can list them) on here that sell really good tube in molds, vertcal and horizontal molds.
4. pearl ex is good. Coastal scents has really good stuff also.

Last edited:

grz5

quickest and cheapest verticle mold is 3/4 inch PVC pipe if you are using PR.

Do you have to coat the pvc with anything to prevent the PR from sticking to the wall?

Is there an option where the tube is made from a thinner clear material?

David M

quickest and cheapest verticle mold is 3/4 inch PVC pipe if you are using PR.

Do you have to coat the pvc with anything to prevent the PR from sticking to the wall? you can use silicone spray ( auto parts store has it cheap ), some pr shrinks and it will brake free with a slit hit or bend of the tube.

Is there an option where the tube is made from a thinner clear material , pr is clear , pen shipping tubes are clear and can be used to cast in and see the blank befor turned

David

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Two members here sell molds that I know of. There may be others. Gadget and Ptownsubbie. You could PM them if you are looking for silicone molds.

Russianwolf

PR shrinks enough to just pop them out of PVC, Alumilite doesn't. I got some 3/4 inch PVC, and a 10pack of the end caps for it, and it works fine.

I haven't tried them, but they also have at Lowes and HD clear protectors for Florescent lights to keep them from showering you with glass it you accidentally pop one. You could try those. You'll have to tape up the end since they don't have caps.

Soda Bottles

I have used the baby soda bottles that are 7/8" diameter for large pen blanks and I have used the 5/8" diameter for slimline blanks. They both work very well, the 7/8 uses 2 oz of resin and the 5/8 uses just over 1 1/4 oz. Steve Spangler sells the larger ones and I found the others from a school science supply store online. Just google Steve's name and you will find the site.

sgimbel

The advantage of the "baby bottle's" to PVC is you can see the blank and they come out like you have already micro meshed them.

grz5

does anyone have a larger "baby bottle" that they're willing to part with?

also does the material or thickness of the baby bottle effect the cure time of the PR?

robdogtn

can you use alumilite in the glass baby bottles? does alumilite shrink any when cured?

clapiana

So naturally I'm going to pepper everyone here with questions until I figure out what to do.
>>>>>> please do. Watch out the rabbit hole is deep when you enter into the land of casting :)

1) What is a good brand/size of PR for someone just starting out to get?
>>>>>> silmar41 is the best clear pr but you will pay. Elmer makes some very good amber pr resin. Never used casting craft but michaels sells it.

2) What would yield better mixing results, vertical or horizontal casting?
>>>>>>>just starting out I would go horizontal. Search for molds in the archive classifieds and classified sections and you will find people selling them. Vertical is an expensive mold but gives you special swirls if that is what you are after.

3)I tried making my own silicone mold only to have it not work, what would be a good alternative that would be easy/cheap to make for either vertical or horizontal casting?
>>>>>> cheap is the PVC option mentioned above. Walmart sells a vertical ice cube tray which works excellent too

4)Is pearl ex a good brand for color additives? Will the power alone wprovide the shimmer and swirls seen in everyone's blanks?w
>>>>>>>>yes to both.

Last edited:

sumterdad

+1 on the post above. We buy silmar41 from illstreet composites. We use both pearl-ex and pigments from coastal scents. Our next order we are going to order the liquid color from illstreet just to get some non shimmering colors

corian king

I have about 10 different molds.All of them came from "Ptownsubbie" my last purchase was a vertical mold and it works great.He has several different ones available.So I have to say Bar none his molds are great and he is a great person to deal with.

Top Bottom