Help with Epoxy Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

The last two cans of West Systems 207 Hardener turned yellow so I had to throw them out. When the first one went bad I called the manufacturer and asked why and they said it was moisture in the air. I bought the next one in January and last week I noticed it turning yellow. I called them again and pretty much the same thing was said. I asked if the hardener was only good for a few months and they asked me for a batch number so I gave it to them. He said it was made in February 2015. I told him I purchased it from Rockler and it wasn't that old to them because I bought the last can they had when I bought the first one that yellowed. He said he didn't know the shipping end so he couldn't say if it was in a warehouse or why it took so long to get on the shelves. My question to you is there a place I can order is where I know it will be as fresh as is can be. They are sending me a free can so they are trying to make it right but I'd rather not go through this every 3-4 months. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Just talked to Solar Composites. I was confused, they don't carry Silmar 41 they are where I bought my carbon fiber. It's tough getting old and trying to remember things. They mentioned Aztec Resin and I'm thinking about giving that a shot. Has anyone here tried it? If so what's your thoughts on that product? Thanks Again

jttheclockman

Just talked to Solar Composites. I was confused, they don't carry Silmar 41 they are where I bought my carbon fiber. It's tough getting old and trying to remember things. They mentioned Aztec Resin and I'm thinking about giving that a shot. Has anyone here tried it? If so what's your thoughts on that product? Thanks Again

I can understand the confusion :):):) Sorry about that. Never used that resin you mentioned. They do sell the West system resin there though. What is it are you using it for?? If you are casting with it that gets awful expensive and you run the risk of yellowing and that also goes for the West system resins too. They are epoxy resins and not casting resins. Those that cast with that resin are gambling and depending on the blank they are casting it may not show up.

Here is the site you were thinking of.

Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Just looked and it's Ad Tech. I'm doing embedded casting. The P.R. Resin is brittle even with 3 drops of hardener and the Alumilite doesn't like snake skins. I've been using the West Systems and it works well except for the low heat tollerance which just means be careful when sanding. They said the Ad Tech has a much higher heat tolerance and is a better resin. They are both U.V. resistant so yellowing after casting shouldn't be a problem.

jttheclockman

Just looked and it's Ad Tech. I'm doing embedded casting. The P.R. Resin is brittle even with 3 drops of hardener and the Alumilite doesn't like snake skins. I've been using the West Systems and it works well except for the low heat tollerance which just means be careful when sanding. They said the Ad Tech has a much higher heat tolerance and is a better resin. They are both U.V. resistant so yellowing after casting shouldn't be a problem.

That is not necessarily true. UV resistant helps it from breaking down and softening up when in the sun. Remember these are epoxy coating resins used for fiberglass.

Not sure what resins you are talking about being brittle. Silmar is not brittle at all if you do not overload the hardener. Cast-n-craft is a more brittle resin. Yes from what I have read Alumilite is softer.

All I can say is give it a try and see what you think. Maybe give us a report. Or stick with the resin you are familar with and had success with. Good luck.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks John. I've always been the person that doesn't like change so I'm trying to keep an open mind with the resins. When I was using P.R. I noticed things would go well for a while then everything I would do would go down the tubes. Since swithing to epoxy things seem to be giong more consistant until the yellowing problem, which I think I found uot why so I just need to change suppliers. I might give the Ad Tech a try when this batch of W.S. runs out but I want to see if a fresher can of hardener will go more than 3 months without yellowing. Since using epoxy I have yet to have a blank "Blow Up". Also I'm not trying to get everyone to change because if something is working for you I do think you should stick with it.

jttheclockman

Kenny that is why this gets discussed here. People share their methods and maybe someone's method will have value to you also. I use that epoxy resin (West System)too but not for clear. I am always using a tint to it. If I can get back to it soon I have a black and aluminum blank I want to try once again.

Store in a cool dry place and you will get good life out of it. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Happy turning.

bmachin

Kenny,

I've spent a little bit of time on both the System Three and West System websites recently--I know it's a weird recreation. Hardeners changing color is normal in both systems. It does not harm the performance of the product, but certainly has a negative cosmetic effect which is your concern.

I haven't had any reason to use them, but there are several epoxy products out there that are designed for casting that seem to be more color stable--at least that is the claim. Alumilite's is called Amazing Clear Cast and costs 114 bucks for a 2 gallon kit on the Alumilite website.

Don't know if it would solve your problem, but it's a whole lot cheaper than the West System stuff. They have a 16 ounce kit for $20 which might be worth a shot to try it out.

FWIW
Bill

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the reply Bill. I like Alumilite but the Alumilite doesn't like snake skins. I'm hoping to find a resin that will do everything I want to cast. I do realize thats asking alot but the W.S. pretty much did that but it didn't last that long before turning yellow. That problem may be solved and I'll know when I get the fresh can. I'm also looking at another brand that has a higher heat tolerance. If it works out maybe a good thing this problem popped up and caused me to rethink what I'm doing.

Top Bottom