Help with dyes for stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

Hello, I'm helping a friend set up a stabilization system (modifying a pressure pot for vacuum & pressure) and i was wondering if you guys could possibly recommend a brand of dyes that would work well with stabilization.

Thanks again and I hope everyone is having a good holiday.

-Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It would also be helpful if you use a clear container when you use a vacuum so you can see when all the air is removed. You can't see that with a pressure pot.

sbell111

As much as I like MM's system, I've stabilized lots of blanks in my paint pot. Just leave it under vac for extra long and you'll be fine.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
What kind of stabilizing resin are you going to use? If you are using a heat cured methacrylate ester, then I have found that Alumilite dyes work the best. I have tested a number of different dyes including transtint mentioned above and the Alumilite dyes provide the best results. They are very concentrated and they are reactive dyes so they will polymerize with the resin and not affect the chemistry. I have had transtint cause the resin to cure with a rubbery consistency.

If you are using Minwax Wood Hardener or any other concoction that requires the resin to "dry", then transtint will work well. However, Alumilite dyes will also work and they are considerably less expensive. A 2 oz bottle of Transtint runs around $16 where Alumilte dyes can be purchased direct from Alumilite for $5 per 1 oz or $10 for the same quantity of Transtint.

grz5

What kind of stabilizing resin are you going to use? If you are using a heat cured methacrylate ester, then I have found that Alumilite dyes work the best. I have tested a number of different dyes including transtint mentioned above and the Alumilite dyes provide the best results. They are very concentrated and they are reactive dyes so they will polymerize with the resin and not affect the chemistry. I have had transtint cause the resin to cure with a rubbery consistency.

If you are using Minwax Wood Hardener or any other concoction that requires the resin to "dry", then transtint will work well. However, Alumilite dyes will also work and they are considerably less expensive. A 2 oz bottle of Transtint runs around $16 where Alumilte dyes can be purchased direct from Alumilite for $5 per 1 oz or $10 for the same quantity of Transtint.

I'm not sure if this is different from the heat cured methacrylate ester but they are leaning towards using Resionol 90C. Thanks again for the help.

sbell111

I think that Transtint's carrier might be effecting curability. That's why I recommended transfast, which as I understand it is the same dye, but in a powdered form, rather than suspended in a carrier. I haven't tried alumilite dyes, but I'll gladly heed to your experience.

Top Bottom