Heat with PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I have a process that using heat and convection currents to add some swirl to my PR blanks before it gels. Should I be using less MEK P?

I use the recommended amount, 6 or so drops per oz, and the pens turn ok but seem just a tad brittle.

Oh and I don't heat it up too much. Not like its smoking. I also now wear a respirator. Huge improvement in keeping brain cells alive. :)

Attachments

• 0728150839-2.jpg
    0728150839-2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 0730151220b-2.jpg
    0730151220b-2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Great looking pens. Never thought of heating the PR to get swirls. I usually pour the PR, give it five minutes or so, then add the other color I am using and swirl them together with a open paper clip, get some interesting colors. I also only use 5 drops if it makes any difference.

BSea

I use 4 drops per ounce. I've been told my blanks are easy to turn, and I've heard they are brittle. Sometimes it's the person behind the tool. But PR is a brittle material. I also think it's gets more brittle with age. Not to the point that you can't turn it, just a little more brittle. That is an interesting idea on using heat. Most of my pours are verticle, so the colors have to be poured at the same time.

its_virgil

turning with a rough out gouge, spindle gouge, or some carbide tools will give the feeling of brittleness. Changing to a skew and the turning experience with PR changes to "turns like butter". I use 3 drops per ounce but have experimented with up to 10 or 12 drops and I do not notice the brittleness of which others speak. Not saying it isn't factual I just don't experience it. But, I only use a skew on all pens and all materials.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I use 4 drops per ounce. I've been told my blanks are easy to turn, and I've heard they are brittle. Sometimes it's the person behind the tool. But PR is a brittle material. I also think it's gets more brittle with age. Not to the point that you can't turn it, just a little more brittle. That is an interesting idea on using heat. Most of my pours are verticle, so the colors have to be poured at the same time.

PSNCO

How large is the horizontal mold that you are pouring into? If it's like a 3"-4" x 5" mold, I cut back to 3 drops per ounce.

A horizontal mold with like 8 ounces of PR curing will throw off heat like no tomorrow.

BSea

turning with a rough out gouge, spindle gouge, or some carbide tools will give the feeling of brittleness. Changing to a skew and the turning experience with PR changes to "turns like butter". I use 3 drops per ounce but have experimented with up to 10 or 12 drops and I do not notice the brittleness of which others speak. Not saying it isn't factual I just don't experience it. But, I only use a skew on all pens and all materials.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I should have said that PR is brittle compared to alumilite, since these are the predominant resins used by most home casters. And I agree that a skew is the best tool for turning PR or Alumilite.

BSea

I use 4 drops per ounce. .....

... I use 3 drops per ounce but have experimented with up to 10 or 12 drops and I do not notice the brittleness of which others speak.

May have to rethink my drops. Do less drops mean slower cure because thats a bonus?
It does mean a slower cure rate. But Don and I do different types of casting (I think). Don, if I'm not mistaken, primarily does tube on casting. So he does only clear resin for these types of casts. I do color casting where I have a small window for pouring. For this type of casting, timing is very important. I have my timing down using 4 drops. The longer it takes to cure, the more chance that the colors will mix.

For my few clear casts, I also use 3 drops per ounce because it really doesn't matter if the resin sets in 15 or 30 minutes. And I don't know if it takes 30 minutes using 3 drops, And 15 is a little shorter than my norm for 4 drops except in the summer. Then it can be a short as 10 minutes depending on the temp in my garage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom