PR trade?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
WOW. that makes 17 people that have signed up! Please double check the list on the first post of this thread to make sure you are on it if you have signed up.

ALSO.. Please remember, once you recieve your box, you gotta make something with one of your homebrew blanks and post a pic asap!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I wouldn't mind trying this but I only have a mold to make blanks long enough for cigar and jr gent pens, I cast them in two pieces, if I made one long blank what is the min. length I would make, I have made a couple blanks in a piece of 3/4" copper tubing for vista pens so thy would be to short to cut for other pens, how long would a blank need to be to be usable for all kits?

RAdams

Banned
Mike, I think 5 1/2 inches is pretty much the minimum for a standard pen blank. If all you can do is two part pen blanks, then i don't think anyone would mind too much. Most of us turn two part kits as well i think it is safe to say. Your blanks could easily be turned down for slimlines, or probably Euros as well as the pens you mentioned. Probably a few other kits too!

I will go ahead and add you to the list. If you want to be removed, just PM me.

nava1uni

Does it matter that if one is just getting into the casting of blanks? I have been playing around since our last chapter meeting and would like to see what other think. So I am in on this one.

RAdams

Banned
That is what several people are doing as well i think. I know i am. I have never had anyone else turn one of my blanks, and would really like some feedback as far as quality, turnability, color depth, finishability (is that a word?), etc.

Not to mention the opportunity to turn something that someone else poured! Double win!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I wouldn't mind trying this but I only have a mold to make blanks long enough for cigar and jr gent pens, I cast them in two pieces, if I made one long blank what is the min. length I would make, I have made a couple blanks in a piece of 3/4" copper tubing for vista pens so thy would be to short to cut for other pens, how long would a blank need to be to be usable for all kits?

Mike and all others:

There are VERY FEW pens that need a blank over 3". IF your recipient is flexible, you can make the "pen part" from the homebrew and make a contrasting cap from black, brown or ivory commercial plastics. (Or Dawn's PR in Mink, Dawn's Black Knight or Snow White (shameless plug!!)

Bottom line, takes a LITTLE creativity, but isn't that what this exchange is all about???

Just a FWIW, I don't cast!!!

Phunky_2003

I think I'll go ahead and give it a go. I went ahead and got some stuff to start expermenting when this thread started. Still need to go pick up a pressure pot. I am hopefully going to go in the next few days to pick it up. I went yesterday 70 miles to closest HF. Never made it to store. Ended up buying a shop tho so day wasn't a loss. Got a 16x20 morgan building for 1500. Being delivered wednesday.

I have made my first brew. Colors turned out pretty good. A few small bubbles that needed to be fixed. Turned pretty easy too. Pic below.

James Henson Bonham Texas anywhere

1_homebrew1.jpg

James

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
Does it matter that if one is just getting into the casting of blanks? I have been playing around since our last chapter meeting and would like to see what other think. So I am in on this one.

Cindy,

I just got bitten by the casting bug myself...

My blanks are pretty and totally square, they may have air bubbles, they may have "powder balls" that will explode on contact with a skew, they don't have several colors mixed into one blank (yet)- I am in it for the fun right now...:) So I am in on this blank swap to see what others can do and to get ideas myself.

That's the beauty of the IAP- I get more ideas being here than I can give out!

Anticipating tomorrow's draw for this!

Short answer to your question- I think it matters not if you made your first cast yesterday, or 10 years ago!

-Doug

RAdams

Banned
ONE HOUR WARNING>>>

ONE HOUR WARNING>>>>>>>

SIGN UP NOW. the tickets are written out and in the hat ready and waiting. ONE HOUR WARNING>>>

RAdams

Banned
i'm afraid not. I am pretty sure everyone is already working out their shipping details. It won't be long i am sure, before everyone is ready to do this again!

elody21

I am FINALLY getting ready to put my box in the mail! I had never worked with Aluminite before and I didn't think it involved a learning curve!!!! Gheee!!!!
I want to thank James F. for my great blanks! I got them Friday. I will turn one today and post the photo ASAP.
Alice

Top Bottom