PR trade?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I have been around other turning forums where they would do wood trades, or kit trades etc. and i was just reading about a "blank" trade, where IAP members signed up and swapped blanks. some wood, some PR.

I thought maybe someone could organize something like that for those of us that cast our own blanks. Everyone trade with the only rule being it has to be a homebrew. Useless wood and PR, alumilite. etc. etc.

this may be something you guys have already done, i don't know. If it is something that has been done before, maybe we could do it again? Do it same as the blank trade, say a minimum of 3 blanks? anyway... just an idea.

Ok. well i started the thread, so i guess i will keep track of it (until a mod or someone takes over)

We will let the thread marinate for two weeks and give everyone a chance to sign up. On July 4th, I will put all the names in a hat, and we will trade round robin, like the regular blanks trade did.

Guidelines: Each sender must send at least 3 homebrew pen blanks. Each recipient must post at least one picture of a completed project from the trade blanks.

the list so far:
When you sign up, please include where you live (city, state, country) and where you want (or don't want) to ship to.

Radams- Chickasha, Oklahoma- Anywhere
RHunter-Mechanicsville, Virginia - Anywhere
rjwolfe3-Mansfield, Ohio - Anywhere.
bitshird- Leapwood TN.- ????????
LandfillLumber- Warren, Michigan- Anywhere
ngeb528- Deland, Fla.- Anywhere
jimofsanston- Sandston, Va. - Anywhere
Ptownsubbie -Portsmouth, Va. - Anywhere
JohnU- Ottawa, Ill. - Anywhere
Smokey7385 - Topeka Ks.- Anywhere (USA)
Durocshark- Castle Rock, CO - Anywhere
Jeff-in-indiana - Bloomington In - ????????
massmans- Jefferson City Mo - Anywhere (USA)
djpevans- Perth, Australia- anywhere
Elody21 - Batavia Il - ???????
jthompson1995- Parkville, Md - anywhere
PR Princess- Racine, Wi- anywhere
JayDevin - Livermore, Ca. - anywhere
Mike of the North - Brandon Twp. Mi - anywhere (USA)
Glass Scratcher - Atlantic Beach, Fl. - anywhere
nava1uni - SanFrancisco, Ca. - ???????????
Phunky2003 - Bonham, Tx. - anywhere
JFeagans - Stafford, VA, - Anywhere

Last edited:

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
I've been casting/experimenting more than I have been turning lately- I'm in!

To parallel the recent blank swap, say minimum of 3 blanks- max of whatever you want to ship?

Mechanicsville, Virginia - Anywhere!

-Doug

RAdams

Banned
Ok. well i started the thread, so i guess i will keep track of it (until a mod or someone takes over)

We will let the thread marinate for two weeks and give everyone a chance to sign up. On July 4th, I will put all the names in a hat, and we will trade round robin, like the regular blanks trade did.

Guidelines: Each sender must send at least 3 homebrew pen blanks. Each recipient must post at least one picture of a completed project from the trade blanks.

the list so far:
When you sign up, please include where you live (city, state, country) and where you want (or don't want) to ship to.

Radams- Chickasha, Oklahoma- Anywhere
RHunter-Mechanicsville, Virginia - Anywhere
rjwolfe3-Mansfield, Ohio - Anywhere.
bitshird- Leapwood TN.- ????????
LandfillLumber- Warren, Michigan- ????????

RAdams

Banned
Of course, this trade is open for anyone that "makes" their own blanks.

PR
Eurethane
Alumilite
whatever materials you use doesnt matter as long as they are home cast/stabilized blanks.

PTownSubbie

Count me in also. I am new at this casting thing though. I turned my first "homemade" brew this afternoon. I guess it turned out alright.....

Portsmouth, VA & Ship anywhere.....

PTownSubbie

Does that TTT mean time is ticking? LOL!!!

I have more but this is a few of them.

#1 & 4 are standard color mix castings
#2 is a color casting with black EP strips in it
#3 & 5 are clear castings of flowers

The wife has been working on more. I just need to start turning!!!
New powder colors are in the mail. Should have them in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 156

RAdams

Banned
lol, actually no, it means To The Top. Just a handy way to bump the thread up and keep it fresh on everyones minds. get some of these master casters to sign up!

RAdams

Banned
black EP strings? what is that? epoxy? are you casting with PR? i would love to know how you put those black strings in there. Looks like a professional blank you would buy at the store. The yellow and black combo like that remind me of Bruce Lee.

Number 4 is really cool too. Should be a very Patriotic pen!

Nice castings! how do the flowers turn?

PTownSubbie

black EP strings? what is that? epoxy? are you casting with PR? i would love to know how you put those black strings in there. Looks like a professional blank you would buy at the store. The yellow and black combo like that remind me of Bruce Lee.

Number 4 is really cool too. Should be a very Patriotic pen!

Nice castings! how do the flowers turn?

You mix the color that you desire for your ribbons and put hardener in your PR. Then pour a small coat on an old glass picture frame to make a very thin cast. Once the cast hardens, you can cut it up and form it the way that you desire and then just cast it in another color.

Being in the military, my wife likes to make the patriotic stuff. Especially with Independence day coming up.....

Haven't turned any of the flowers as of yet. The lightest one didn't have enough petals in it and so I don't think it is going to turn out very good. I will let you know when I am done....

RAdams

Banned
that is silck! thanks for the heads up! I will have to give it a go, the ribbons that is.

RAdams

Banned
If you want to throw some stopper blanks in the box, i am sure nobody would mind. I myself, have already planned to get a flat rate USPS box, and see what all i can fit. Pen blanks, Stopper blanks, maybe a couple of PR discs for center bands, maybe even a wood blank or three! Of course all of the "Plastic" blanks in the box will be homebrew.

there is no maximum on what you can send.

If it is cool with the people on the list, I will draw names July 4th, and post a list that afternoon. Then everyone can get ahold of their according person for shipping info. Hopefully by July 11, everyone can have their boxes shipped! Should be fun! I look forward to seeing the pictures of the finished products!

JohnU

I just wanted to let you know I edited my post to say I will ship anywhere. Also, I will be out of state over the 4th but will be back on the 9th and get the blanks out asap to who ever Im supposed to.

bitshird

grub32 has a couple of videos on YouTube on how to make ribbons...

I been using his videos there to "improve" my casting techniques, but I haven't tried ribbons yet....

-Doug

You can also make ribbons by using about 30 drops per OZ, and pouring your PR on a sheet of wax paper, it will peel away from the wax paper with ease, cut the ribbons first then peel the PR away from the paper, The ribbons will stay pliable for a few hours after it's removed from the paper, keep checking on it though, the ambient temperature will do strange things

ngeb528

You can also make ribbons by using about 30 drops per OZ, and pouring your PR on a sheet of wax paper, it will peel away from the wax paper with ease, cut the ribbons first then peel the PR away from the paper, The ribbons will stay pliable for a few hours after it's removed from the paper, keep checking on it though, the ambient temperature will do strange things

Confirming: 30 drops catalist per oz of resin? Does it matter what kind of resin you're using?

Also, how long do you wait before you can peel it off the wax paper? My first try wasn't completely successful:rolleyes:.

RAdams

Banned
Yeah David, there are quite a few of us that have specified shipping to anywhere! Would add a cool story to whoever gets your box!

Just imagine... "These blanks came from a trade i did. A guy in Perth, Australia made these blanks and sent them to me for these beautiful pens you see here!" People love a story!

elody21

I would love to be included! Alice Call Elody21 Batavia Il

Sorry I forgot to say, I will ship to anywhere!

Last edited:
Top Bottom