PR molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I tried coffee beans in the wal mart ice tray and couldn't get them to come out. I blamed it on the fact that I cast them under pressure, but I think that it might be possible that the beans swelled slightly.

I now only cast beans in bricks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

Originally posted by sbell111

I tried coffee beans in the wal mart ice tray and couldn't get them to come out. I blamed it on the fact that I cast them under pressure, but I think that it might be possible that the beans swelled slightly.

I now only cast beans in bricks.

That makes sense. I am going to try the next batch without the beans and see how it goes. I always have to try for the more difficult options first. [B)] I guess its how I learn....

Jarheaded

The Walmart ice molds are made so the ice will only come out in one direction. Since I wasn't there to see it,and you didn't say, did you try to remove the blanks by pushing in the other direction? I am asking this because I had the same problem at first and then I found out that I was pushing the blanks in tighter. It may also be that the beans did swell with the PR but I used Alumilite so I don't know if that made a difference.

sbell111

Originally posted by Jarheaded

The Walmart ice molds are made so the ice will only come out in one direction. Since I wasn't there to see it,and you didn't say, did you try to remove the blanks by pushing in the other direction? I am asking this because I had the same problem at first and then I found out that I was pushing the blanks in tighter. It may also be that the beans did swell with the PR but I used Alumilite so I don't know if that made a difference.
I've made that mistake before, so I was careful this time (for a change) and tried to push them out in the correct direction. They wouldn't budge. I ended up destroying them getting them out. At least I didn't have to destroy the molds.

Celt40

I have read so much about the Walmart ice cube trays for casting pen blanks. Do Walmart still sell the ice cube trays that you mention? I have an American friend that will be going back to the US before Christmas, I could ask her to bring me some over to the UK if they still make them. Can someone let me know, and is there a certain one that she should look for???? What is the cost of one tray.[:I]

I have tried to look for some ice cube trays over here, but not found anythink that comes close.

I have made some successful molds using silicone, but had no success with the PVC electrical pipe. Blanks would not come out. Not tried the copper pipe yet, don't know what to seal the ends with.

ronhampton

walmart sells a small organizer in the crafts dept.it has 7 compartments,there are 6 that are about 2 1/8 x1 1/2x1 1/2 thus,4 half blanks each.plus 1whole section that will yield 4 complete if short-4 1/4blanks.hope this helps,ron.:)

follow3

Hey Gregg,

Could you share your recipe and technique for making that mold?
Also, what is glycerin?

Thanks,
Steve

Originally posted by the_benz

I tried this morning to create a mold with silicone caulk, glycerin and acrylic paint. I was too thick to pour but was able to use a putty knife to spread it. within an hour it was firm to the touch. after about three hours, I removed it from the container and it is firm all the way through. It has a few small areas that did not fill smoothly, but I think I can make it work. It smells like vinegar!!
Thanks, Gregg

follow3

[Hey Y'all,

I have used the Oomoo and like it a lot. I would also be interested in the mixing formula for the silicone, glycerine and acrylic paint method as an alternative for when I have an idea and don't want to wait for the Oomoo to ship.

Does anyone have any instructions or recipe for the silicone, glycerine, acrylic paint method?

Oh yeah...what is glycerine?

Thanks,
Steve

quote]Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

There is a "formula" for using GE II or Dap Silicone caulking, glycerine, and acrylic paint, but for the time, labor and pain in the backside to get it right you could either order some silicone and make your own or get one of Kris's(Modelmaker) fine molds, and be casting before the caulking cures.
[/quote]

its_virgil

The topic is "PR molds" and gadget sell them along with others mentioned in this thread. Seems as on topic as all of the other posts...maybe more so than swirling techniques, coloring, MEKP amounts and coffee beans. :D
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by bitshird

Originally posted by its_virgil

I think gadget deserves some equal time. His molds are really nice (I have them)and I can recommend them...for whatever it's worth.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22665

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've cast about 4 gallons of PR blanks in one of gadget's 4 gang 3/4 silicone molds, even put it in my oven set at 175 degrees to speed up the cure time, it's still flexible, the blanks still release easily, and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to get a 1 in mold from him, The only problem I've had is getting the mold under my vacuum bell jar, I think gadget deserves a lot of credit for coming up with his molds!! and at a great price for the amount of silicone required.
Gadget has received a lot of well deserved credit, but that's not the topic of this thread.

sbell111

The topic is "PR molds" and gadget sell them along with others mentioned in this thread. Seems as on topic as all of the other posts...maybe more so than swirling techniques, coloring, MEKP amounts and coffee beans. :D
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think gadget deserves some equal time. His molds are really nice (I have them)and I can recommend them...for whatever it's worth.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've cast about 4 gallons of PR blanks in one of gadget's 4 gang 3/4 silicone molds, even put it in my oven set at 175 degrees to speed up the cure time, it's still flexible, the blanks still release easily, and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to get a 1 in mold from him, The only problem I've had is getting the mold under my vacuum bell jar, I think gadget deserves a lot of credit for coming up with his molds!! and at a great price for the amount of silicone required.
Gadget has received a lot of well deserved credit, but that's not the topic of this thread.
Every thread that discusses PR molds does not have to have eleventeen posts advertising gadgets molds for sale. One post was just the right amount.

follow3

I guess you all are soo worried about correcting each other and worrying about who said what about who....that you don't have time to actually answer anyones questions, or share any info or tips.

That is the bad thing about a forum, no matter what the forum or the topic there is always someone there to tell you if you misspell a word or use incorrect grammer or write something slightly off topic.

We are here to have fun and share information. These posts should be like a conversation. The topic may start about one thing and evolve into several things... that is what makes a forum sooo helpfull and educational and fun!!!

Lighten up guys:D!!! Have some fun:)!!!

Just my $2.00(inflation;))
Steve

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Every thread that discusses PR molds does not have to have eleventeen posts advertising gadgets molds for sale. One post was just the right amount.

its_virgil

As I said previously, since modlemaker posted a notice for his molds in this thread I just think equal time for gadget is not out of line. Why didn't you jump on any of those who posted about modlemaker's molds? There were just as many comments on his. Seems kinda one sided to me.

I don't have a problem with Kris, with his posting about his molds or with his molds. They are excellent molds. I talked with some guys at the Utah Woodturning Symposium who use his molds and had nothing but great things to say. My post was not a negative one. I don't see that I need to apologize or justify to anyone about the post or why I made it. And, I don't need my hand slapped. I just .... well, I'm finished and will not post to this thread again.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Modelmaker

I agree that we need to stop bickering about who makes what or who's is better.
Here is some info from my files that pertain to using silicone caulk for a mold material. I can't remember where I got it and it is rather long.
This info is "use at your own risk". Your chances of getting to work right are 50/50.
** Warning, long post** sorry.

Using Silicone Caulk as a Mold Material

I was reading the back posts and saw that some of you have been using silicone caulk for making molds. I have been working with a variety of silicones for some time and thought I'd post some information that might be helpful.

There are three basic types of silicone. The first two are two-part silicones which must be measured and mixed just prior to use.

1) Platinum cure (addition) silicones are extremely pure and can produce extremely accurate molds that last indefinately. They are used for medical and theatrical prosthetics, medical equipment, cookware, candy molds, and baby bottle nipples. Unfortunately, these are also the touchiest of the silicones to work with and their cure can be hindered by moisture, sulfur, latex, tin, loud cursing and bad hairstyles.

2) Tin cure (condensation) silicones are commonly used as a mold making material for art and industry. They are not approved for long term contact with the skin, or for cookware or other food contact, though some are used in making seals for potable water supplies. It is also long lasting and makes accurate molds with a life of several years. They are still very stable and safe compounds for a wide variety of applications. They will cure underwater and actually require some moisture in their chemical process. In fact, there is very little that will inhibit the cure of a condensation silicone.

3) The remaining class is one-part, self curing silicones like caulking and aquarium sealant. They are a variant of tin cure and are sold in air-tight tubes. These are further divided into two subclasses based on their catalyst:
a) Acetoxy - these are the typical ones you will find at your home centers etc. They have a strong vinegar (acetic acid) odor while curing.
b) Oxime - are referred to as odorless cure silicones and can be found in some building supply stores but are usually more expensive.

The biggest problems with using silicone caulking for molds is that it is rather thick and easily traps air, and that it will not cure properly in very thick applications. These can both be remedied in the same way.

The reason they won't cure in thick layers is that they require the moisture in air to cure. Thick layers develop an air-tight skin, effectively resealing the caulking underneath. In applications more than 1/4 inch thick, you can often come back days later and the underside will still be soft (if it is against a non-water bearing material like plasticine clay) or will cure from both sides and have a pocket of goo in the middle.

The way to solve this problem is to get some moisture throughout the silicone. You can't just mix in water, it won't mix well and you'll end up with a mess. The two products I have found that work best are glycerine (available at any pharmacy or in the health and beauty department of most chain stores) and acrylic (not oil) artists or craft paint.

Start with clear 100% silicone caulk, like GE I or GE II, or DAP 100% Silicone Caulk. Squeeze out the amount you will need into a plastic cup that is large enough to give you stirring room. For each ounce of caulk, add four or five drops of glycerine and a drop of acrylic paint. Use a wooden craft stick to stir until you get a uniform color trying to avoid trapping any more air than necessary.

You can use just the acrylic paint, but I like adding the glycerine because it improves the cure and also reduces the adhesive qualities of the silicone, making it easier to remove from the model. You could also do this with just the glycerine, but it is more difficult to tell when you have obtained a uniform blend.

Don't overdo it with either the acrylic or the glycerine as more than a few drops per ounce will result in a weaker end product. You cannot thin caulking with these materials without sacrificing a lot of the good characteristics of the silicone.

Once you get a uniform color, you have from 15 minutes to an hour before the product begins to thicken, depending on the temperature and humidity. Working in a cool dry environment will extend your application window. If you are outdoors in southern Florida, in August, work fast.

Adequate cure for handling should take under two hours and it will cure evenly throughout, rather than from the surface inward. Again, heat and humidity will speed things up.

I like to brush on a thin layer first, getting out all the air bubbles and making sure you have good contact everywhere. Then a thicker coat can be spatulated on. Usually about 1/4 inch works for palm sized items, but you can go up to an inch for very large works.

Once the silicone has cured, you can make a support shell out of plaster bandages applied a couple of layers thick. This "mother" mold will hold the flexible silicone in place during casting. Again, the bigger the mold, the thicker the mother.

Though it is probably not necessary, I like to give my newly made molds overnight to finish curing before I start casting in them.

If you feel you need to thin silicone caulking, xylene is the solvent of choice, but work outdoors and protect yourself from the vapors, they can cause health problems, so read the label. Mineral spirits will also work, but weaken the material and leave it with a greasy feel. Mineral spirits will also slow the cure from hours to possibly days.
Also, volatile solvents will result in shrinkage of the finished mold in proportion to the amount of solvent added to the silicone.

PaulDoug

Kris, thank you for the great input. I just want to see if I am understanding your write up. What it appears to me is you are making a "sheet" of silicone that is laid in a wood mold or whatever to pour acrylic blank in. Is that correct? Or, are you coating a mother mold with the silicone mixture?

Sorry but I don't know what plaster bandages are?

Again, thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Modelmaker

just an fyi, I didn't write this up. I found it a while ago while doing some research on alternative molding materials for a seminar I did. So, the props go to the original writer (if I could find out who it was I'll post it).
Plaster bandages are basically gauze strips that are coated with plaster. You wet them and then form them to your mold.
You make up the mix and the brush it onto the master, or what you want to make the mold of. I would suggest alternating layers of silicone and plaster bandages.
If you want an alternative to the silicone caulking idea, go to a hobby shop that deals with trains and get a bottle of liquid latex rubber from the scenery (or terrain) dept. Then us this to build up layers the same way. This way you don't have to worry about mixing things, harmful vapors, etc...

Russianwolf

I was walking around Wally-Worlds kitchen isle the other day looking at glass measuring cups to use for PR (1 cup glass is $2.88 and they have a 5 once glass for $1.88 at my store) since I don't like throwing things away if I can help it.

I happened to see these that were right next to the measuring cups

http://www.oneida.com/index.cfm/fus...egoryID/52f31ad2-ccfd-45ac-8155-77d558d9008a/

They had several sizes, 8x8, 5x8, and 13x9 and all have nice square corners and non-stick lining. I say the corners are square, but I think there is a slight taper that should make even vac or preasure casts pop out still. They ranged from $9 to $13 at my store.

Just a thought. I didn't get one, but I may grab one before long.

follow3

Hey Mike,

Those look like great molds, but before you by any, you better measure to be sure they will fit in your pressure pot. I wonder how well they will release? If you try them, give us a report on their performance.

Thanks,
Steve
Originally posted by Russianwolf

I was walking around Wally-Worlds kitchen isle the other day looking at glass measuring cups to use for PR (1 cup glass is $2.88 and they have a 5 once glass for $1.88 at my store) since I don't like throwing things away if I can help it.

I happened to see these that were right next to the measuring cups

http://www.oneida.com/index.cfm/fus...egoryID/52f31ad2-ccfd-45ac-8155-77d558d9008a/

They had several sizes, 8x8, 5x8, and 13x9 and all have nice square corners and non-stick lining. I say the corners are square, but I think there is a slight taper that should make even vac or preasure casts pop out still. They ranged from $9 to $13 at my store.

Just a thought. I didn't get one, but I may grab one before long.

follow3

Hey Kris,

Thanks for the info!!! That is exactly what I was asking for. I can't wait to give it a try.

Steve

Russianwolf

Originally posted by follow3

Hey Mike,

Those look like great molds, but before you by any, you better measure to be sure they will fit in your pressure pot. I wonder how well they will release? If you try them, give us a report on their performance.

Thanks,
Steve
Hey Steve, I'm not casting under preasure yet, So that's not an issue for me right now. But yeah, with 8x8 being the smallest I saw, it could be an issue with a pot.

Modelmaker

I'm working on a tutorial type thing at the moment that will let you use a larger mold in a standard pressure pot.
Basically you need to lay the pot on it's side resting on 2x4's or something to keep is stable, put in a small piece of plywood to create a flat shelf and place the mold on that.

Top Bottom