PR in a metal mold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scotty

I have cast a few pen blanks using PVC molds with no problems. I make a few pendants and thought I would try something. I used a spoon as a mold to make an oval pendant blank. It won't come out of the spoon. I figured it would fall right out with a little bumping. Stuck tight. I have them in the freezer right now, thinking that might help release it. Any ideas why it stuck so fast when blanks slide right out of a PVC pipe mold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The only thing that comes to mind is the spoon is a totally different material than pvc. You might retry it and spray the spoon with release first and see what happens.

Chasper

Spray the spoon with a mold release first, car wax is a good mold release, Pam cooking spray works. The resin shrinks a bit when it cures, in a closed vessel like a tube it shrinks away from the sides, in an open space like a spoon it shrinks down from the open area. If you cast a doughnut shape, when it shrinks the hole gets a little larger, not smaller.

Russianwolf

When I used to use PR, I had a metal pan that I used for a mold. It had sides that were sloped maybe 5 degrees out as it was meant for baking. Never had an issue with getting the PR out of it.

I actually still use the pan, but I made a silicon liner for it now since I use a resin that will bond to it.

Scotty

Well, it came right out with just a little bump. Guess the freezer did it. I will try a release next time. Just didn't think there would be a problem coming out of a spoon....nothing there to really hold it in. Thanks for the help.

Jim Burr

Banned
I use metal votive candle molds all the time for stopper blanks. Little Pam and haven't had one stick yet. Do not pick the up as the PR cures!!! Those suckers get hot...DAMHIKT!!

Top Bottom