PR casts 3,4 and 5 today - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 47

Default PR casts 3,4 and 5 today

Got a day above 50 degress ... barely .... so I did some more casting.
I'n not sure how I feel about the results yet .... I think I will withhold judgement until I have rounded a few over to see what's inside.
Attached Thumbnails
3rdcastbsm.jpg   3rdcastfsm.jpg   4th-cast-bsm.jpg   4th-cast-fsm.jpg   5thcastfsm.jpg  

5thcastbsm.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I dont know Lenny They all look good to me. Mine all the second color goes to the bottom. I guess I am to impatient to wait long enought before mixing.
RDH79 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH79 View Post
I dont know Lenny They all look good to me. Mine all the second color goes to the bottom. I guess I am to impatient to wait long enought before mixing.

if youre impatient and want a sort of graffiti look then only wait for it to thicken very slightly (not yet gel stage at all) then pour a little of one color, a little of the second, a little of the first, a little of the second and so on, and swirl very slightly with a toothpick and WALK AWAY. ill post a pic of the result momentarily

ZanderPommo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Wish I had a few spare bucks to send you for the 2 in the copper and copper&silver. I think that's right. Looks like the insides should be purty.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I waited a little too long on the bronze and green cast ... It was getting cold so I placed a light in front of the mix and got sidetracked ...it got pretty solid. Tried to poke and create holes for the second color to penetrate ... will know better after it's turned what kind of mix I got.

I hope when it gets warmer it will be easier to judge when things are starting to gel.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH79 View Post

Sorry Lenny I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here just thought some might like to know this, I love the looks of those slabs, especially the blue/green, i just recently did a 3 color that looked very similar

ZanderPommo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 235

They all look great Lenny. Can't wait to see what's inside. Personally, I want to see what the last one will look like. The color combo in it is one of my favs! If you're happy with your results with that one....care to trade a bit with me?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Zander, those are both VERY COOL!

Jonathon, I hope to round a few over tomorrow to see what they look like, I'll try to post more photos when I do.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Lenny Those look good to me
I'm really liking that gold mix. If you need someone to test one out for you I'm game.
Dana Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Hi peoples,

Lenny, that way I like to make my mixes late in the evening and leave it alone...!

I get always very excited to get up and see the first part of what I've done, there is, remove the blocks from the mold and put them in the sun (when possible) for a few hours.

Is nearly impossible to tell exactly how they will come out, just by looking at the blocks, you have to cut the out and turn one round, finish it before you can see what you done...!

I get in troubles all the time, particularly with the wood & resin mixes, where I turn the sample a little too yearly, before the resin has time to cure, therefore, cutting and sanding can be a challenge but the worse part is, you finish the sample with the CA to a top flawless gloss, and the nest day or two, the resin and wood moved and the finish is ruined, making me do it again but this time I wait a few weeks before I do so.

One of the things I've learned is, take the pics immediately after the blank is finished, the pics would come out just right and if it has to be re-finished later, no hurry, you already got your results of how it looks like...!

Zander, those mixes of your's are getting pretty damn good, mate...!

Have you finished any of them yet...! just courious...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads