Goin' Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Live2Dive

I just got my Coastal Scents order in and I now have everything to cast me some blanks! I'm not using pressure on the first batch, firstly because I do not have a pressure pot (yet) and I want to see the results of using a warm bath first. Speaking of pressure pot, HF has theirs on sale this month for $80. Applying a 20% off coupon, makes it almost too good to pass up!

So, with any luck, you will see a post from me by Monday with pics of my first Sim-41 blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lots of people cast without using a pressure pot if your casting pr. Alumilite is another matter.

its_virgil

I have two and when I was casting with pressure I never had any problems with them. For casting polyresin resin there is no reason to exceed 30psi. HF gets a bad rap as soon as HF is mentioned. I have the HF drill press, bans saw, disk sander and Foredom knockoff and they all perform flawlessly.

If I were casting alumilite where more pressure is needed I would consider a pot rated for more pressure than the HF pot.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've heard WAAAAAAAY too many terrifying stories of failure in the HF pots to even consider buying one.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

You make a good point. I own and use a stunning array of HF tools to no great ill. They do what they were designed to do. The pressure pots have gotten enough bad review for me to just not wanna take the chance. I don't hate HF.

I have two and when I was casting with pressure I never had any problems with them. For casting polyresin resin there is no reason to exceed 30psi. HF gets a bad rap as soon as HF is mentioned. I have the HF drill press, bans saw, disk sander and Foredom knockoff and they all perform flawlessly.

If I were casting alumilite where more pressure is needed I would consider a pot rated for more pressure than the HF pot.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've heard WAAAAAAAY too many terrifying stories of failure in the HF pots to even consider buying one.

JohnU

I've been using HF pots for the last 4 years and never had a problem. I don't try to modify them and I use pliers to tighten the clamps every time. Every feather blank I have made was in a HF pot.

Live2Dive

Well, attempt one didn't go as planned... I mixed up the main color and added the activator. Mixed well and poured into mold. Stirred occasionally for about 7 minutes. Added activator to the accent color and left sit in the water bath until the main color started to thicken up. Oops... The accent color kicked first and I barely had time to get the two combined. I guess the water bath made it kick sooner because of the constant heat. I'm a learnin'!

Live2Dive

Oh, and other things I just learned? Put butcher paper down first. Open paper towels first. Wear gloves. I'm sure I learned more, but...

sumterdad

Yea I am learning more as well. One thing I have learned but don't always go by is to take.notes on every detail. Before long you will start to see a pattern and then your blanks will start being spot on. Oh and I am hoping for a hf pot for Christmas so you wont be alone.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I have no idea just how many pots I have cast in the HF at approx 50#. I know, they say 30 is enough but I figure if 30 does it, 50 will do it better! After figuring out to put PJ on the HF seal, I've had no problems. I also have the high dollar pot but I feel just as safe with the HF, almost:biggrin::biggrin: If you are chicken on the HF, use it for vacuum and use the high $ can for pressure!

Brooks803

Well, attempt one didn't go as planned... I mixed up the main color and added the activator. Mixed well and poured into mold. Stirred occasionally for about 7 minutes. Added activator to the accent color and left sit in the water bath until the main color started to thicken up. Oops... The accent color kicked first and I barely had time to get the two combined. I guess the water bath made it kick sooner because of the constant heat. I'm a learnin'!

Are you doing the water bath on the main color? If you're going to do the water bath try doing them both at the same time. I don't preheat my resin at all and a 9oz cup of catalyzed resin will take approx 20mins (at approx 70degrees) before I even think of pouring in my mold. If I were going to preheat only 1 color I'd do the main color, that way even if the accent isn't at the gel stage it'll still get swirled into the main and trapped that way. The other way around there's more "loose" resin that has the potential to sink to the bottom of the mold and seperate entirely. It'll take some trials and error but once you get a feel for when to pour and mix you'll be making awesome blanks in no-time!

I'm sure you've read that timing is everything and it's true!

Edit: I also have a HF pot that I use from time to time. 40# is all I put in it.

Justturnin

I was going to get a HF pot a few weeks ago but they were out and said none anytime soon so I pick up a used pot on fleabay for $75 shipped.

Top Bottom