Glue Spots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Kardell

6ab7ad9a8e705f201d6fac5984821219.jpg

76a868f85d40fa4bf8720918b0bfce8c.jpg

I am getting closer to getting this right ....

I tried casting a watch parts pen - but the glue I used showed through once casted and turned. I had used thin CA - should I use something else?

Thanks in advance for looking and any suggestions!

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

If you are sure those are glue spots, then I would suggest painting the inside of the blank hole.

I am puzzled though ....

.... usually people make watch parts pens by painting a brass tube, gluing the watch parts to the tube, and then casting the whole in resin. No gluing involved.

Bob Kardell

Thanks - that's exactly what I did - painted the tube black, glued the pieces to the pen, and the casted the whole thing in Alumilite.

Can I use accelerator on the CA? I did use some accelerator as the pieces were sliding on the blank...

magpens

OK ... I kind of misunderstood, but I don't know why. . Your post was clear enough !!

I have never made that kind of a blank. . But if I did, my first choice would be epoxy glue.
However, I realize that allows more time for the pieces to slide around but the upside is that you have better control over the amount of glue and the less glue the better. . I don't like seeing glue spreading outside the watch parts.

Let's see if anyone else responds

Kenny Durrant

My guess is that the glue is reflecting light is why you can see it. Now please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not criticizing you I'm just trying to make an observation and give you my opinion. Also realize opinions are like armpits. Everyone's got them and they all stink! My advice would be just to try to be a little neater with the glue. Most of the time most of the glue will disappear. It looks to me that there was too much glue and it ran or you got glue on your fingers and transferred it around when handling the tube. I think the fingers might be part of it because yours look like mine and I know what it looks like. Ha Ha. What I do is dry fit the parts and when I'm happy with the fit I'll use tweezers to hold the part. Then put a little glue on a piece of paper and use a toothpick to transfer the glue to the part. I also use thick or sometimes med c.a. that way the glue won't be prone to run. I think your doing what you need to do just might try to be a little cleaner.

Bob Kardell

Thanks - and no I didn't take it the wrong way - that's what happened. I used medium CA and tweezers and when I placed the part on the blank the part started to slide...

After a couple moved on me I tried CA with accelerator and I found out that causes issues with Alumilite as well.

If I can't use CA with Alumilite is epoxy better?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Kenny Durrant

I've used Epoxy and P.R. I think Alumilite would work as well. I stopped using Epoxy and switched to Alumilite Slow so I try that the next time it comes up. I do know when using the Alumilite it needs o be dry. Make sure there is no moisture and the glue is cured. Also before I cast I'll put the blank and the mold and put both in the oven for 20-30 min to ensure everything is good to go.

Top Bottom