Gloat,,,,,new paint pot finally came,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All,
Well, my HF paint pot finally came today. Spent a couple of hours setting it up this afternoon. The vac pump isn't here yet, it's coming USPS. Hope to see it soon. I built the pot and just have to run the tube/hose for the vac pump when it comes.

I took ideas from a half a dozen peoples set ups to come up with my own design. I took it quite a bit further then some of you have. I wanted to isolate the gages and use ball valves to segregate everything. I wound up with the parts, so I put them to use. There are descriptions with each photo.

This is the basic unit. Don't mind the short hose, I'll lengthen it when the vac pump comes.
200771135523_123.jpg

I put a towel over the back side so you can see the pluming up front.
200771135557_234.jpg

This is the vac hook up. It is open only when I am using vacuum. In that case, the two pressure valves would be closed. When I am on the vacuum side and I want to monitor the "bars", I open the far right valve.
200771135619_345.jpg

I put the pot under pressure when I finished it this afternoon. I set the regulator for 60 pounds and even now, 5 hours later, it has lost maybe a half a pound. I am very pleased so far. I'll let it sit over night and see what comes of it. I'll do a soap water test tomorrow, if I have to.
200771135747_456.jpg

Just wanted to brag a little. Thanks for looking. And thanks to those who have tutorials and posts with photos on the site, they all helped me greatly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Heres a quick explanation of the pluming. I used a "T" fitting out of the tank and clustered most of it together. Just what I chose to do. No special reason. I just like the look of the set up.

200771142557_labled%20pluming%20parts.jpg
<br />

Houstonian

Great job Steve. I'm formulating my setup in my mind and will likely end up with something looking a lot like yours.[;)]

I assume the value and plastic tubing behind your manifold is the suction supply? Have you put it under a vacuum yet? Last question... Did you thread the copper pipe going into the lid?

Thanks,
Lee

rherrell

I see you removed the pressure relief safety valve. I would have made a seperate lid for the vacuum function and left the safety on the pressure side. I don't do any stabilizing so I don't need vacuum. I cast snake skins at 50lbs. pressure for 4 hrs. and have no problems with bubbles.

stevers

Lee, don't have the vac pump yet. Should be here any day. And the nipple threaded into the lid.

Gary, cross between Lowe's and Ace hardware.

Rick, the block the safety valve was threaded into was junk. The fitting the nipple was to thread into was loose and wobbled too much. I'll just keep a close eye on pressure. I intend to unhook the air line over night anyway. I don't trust my cheap Campbell Housfeild compressor that much.

Thanks for the comments and I'll post when I test the vac side.

stevers

21 1/2 hours and the pot has 57 pounds in it. Thats a 3 pound loss. I'll take that.
The vac pump didn't show up today, so vac testing will have to wait. Of course vac testing should have even better results then pressure. Today after work, I'm going to set up the platform for the floor of thew tank. May cast something in the next couple of days. We'll see.

stevers

Hi All,
I decided to do the soapy water test, thought maybe I could find the culprit that was loosing the 3 pounds over night. Well I think I did find it. The cap on the regulator was leaking. Below is a shot.
While I was at it, I made the platform for the bottom of the tank. I chamfered the bottom edge so it sits nice and flat. I also drilled a hole in the middle of the platform for my finger. That way I can lift it out easily.

200771211542_small%20leak.jpg
<br />

So I cranked it up and we'll see what happens over night. More updates to come.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Steve - very nice job setting up the pot. Reminds me of one of my favorite expressions - if its worth doing, its worth overdoing. Stop testing and start casting!! We're expecting great things coming out of this pot.

stevers

I set it up yesterday about 5:30 PM, put 60 pounds in it. I just looked at it and it has 60 pounds in it. The needle may have moved a hundredth or two. Now I'm really happy with the results.
No vac pump. Called HF, they said it is scheduled for delivery on the 13th, tomorrow. They are slow!!!!

EDIT/ADDITION; 10:15 PM and it still has 60 pounds in it. Think I got it nailed down.

JWS Penworks

Ok, since I'm a newbie around here and new to pen turning I can probably ask this question and get away with it [;)]

What is it for. What are you going to do with it?

I've got a lot to learn, [:D]
John

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It is for stabilizing soft wood blanks and making your own acrylic blanks. Check the Library for many good documents/videos on it.

GK

stevers

Your not that far away Greg. See ya in the morning. LOL I know you want to see a cast, I'll probably do one or two tomorrow (Sat). I'm the kind that wants everything set up just right before I begin to experiment. Makes it easier to rule out the equipment in case of failure.

I got the vac pump today and hooked it up. I did something a little different then most. I removed the block from the housing and mounted it directly on the pluming on the tank. Saved from having to have another separate unit and hose laying around. Theres a picture of it below.
Also, I pulled a vacuum and managed 26 1/2 inches. A little short of my mark, but I think it will do for stabilizing wood and casting cactus and the such. Pic below as well.

I had to do a little pluming work on it. And just to let anyone who may decide to do this know, the block is really soft pot metal and will break very easily. Be carefully. The threads are 1/8 pipe.
20077143125_vacuum%20set%20up%201%20600.jpg
<br />

Here is the set up with the vacuum pulled at 26 1/2 inches. It seems to want to hold it pretty well too.
20077143150_vacuum%20set%20up%202%20600.jpg
<br />

PS, I installed the handle for two reasons. The obvious one, to carry the tank. And the not so obvious, to lift the lid off the tank without grabbing the plumbing.

Originally posted by stevers<br />
<b>Snippity</b>

I got the vac pump today and hooked it up. I did something a little different then most. I removed the block from the housing and mounted it directly on the pluming on the tank. Saved from having to have another separate unit and hose laying around. Theres a picture of it below.
Also, I pulled a vacuum and managed 26 1/2 inches. A little short of my mark, but I think it will do for stabilizing wood and casting cactus and the such. Pic below as well.

I had to do a little pluming work on it. And just to let anyone who may decide to do this know, the block is really soft pot metal and will break very easily. Be carefully. The threads are 1/8 pipe.
20077143125_vacuum%20set%20up%201%20600.jpg
<br />

Yep, that thar is the beastie which do make the vacuum. HF used to have them made in brass but to save money...

I pulled mine out of the casing as well and found T-tape on only 2 of the threaded fittings and one fitting that had no tape would unscrew at the slightest touch. Time for some gasket making compound... Someone mentioned in the past that they had bought one of these and it didn't work, chances are that they had the same problem, that the fitting tollerances are not so good, and the liberal application of some silicon gasket seal or Permatex would have solved the problem right promptly.

<b>Snip Snip!</b>

PS, I installed the handle for two reasons. The obvious one, to carry the tank. And the not so obvious, to lift the lid off the tank without grabbing the plumbing.

Yes, don't go slinging the lid by its plumbing, you don't know what new direction your connections, guages and such will be pointing afterward. That is, if some little brass fitting doesn't snap from the stress.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by stevers
<br />
Also, I pulled a vacuum and managed 26 1/2 inches. A little short of my mark, but I think it will do for stabilizing wood and casting cactus and the such.

Experience has shown me that you don't need much more that 20 in to stabilize. One trick I learned is to bleed off the vacuum every few hours, let it sit for a couple of minutes and re-draw the vacuum. I have found that using this method has given me much deeper penetration. Another thing I have found is that the thicker the stabilization mix is, be it plexi/acetone of polyurethane, the more trouble you will have getting it to penetrate completely. I thin mine down to almost water thin consistency. YMMV [:)]

stevers

Charles, Oh, you mean I wasn't the first to come up with the idea?[:(][:(][:)][:)]
Thanks Scott. I will be needing advice like that as I start trying things. I'm going to pick up some PR today and try a cast later this afternoon.

stevers

OK Folks,
Last post on this topic for me. The pressure/vacuum pot is complete!!! I installed a 1/8 elbow on the inside of the lid at the air pressure entry point. I saw this done by Gary N. The system holds air and vacuum very well. The only thing I have had to do is to clean the gasket with some water and wipe off the mating surface to get a tight seal.
As I do more test casting, I will post on my other topic "color of poured resin" or start a new topic.
Thanks to all who offered help and advice. The results were exactly what I had hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom