Glass Chamber ** CAUTION**

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Well, I admit it. I got sucked into the glass chamber idea and picked up a vase from my local Hobby Lobby for $17. I retro-fit my other chamber lid to fit this for a test run.

Now, I knew better than to bring glass in the shop. I tell others not to bring glass in their shop. Well yesterday I had a lapse in my better judgement. I was advised by a fellow IAP member, who's opinions I respect a greatly, not to do it. Did I listen? No I did not. But like I said I knew better so I did not just throw it up on the table and draw a vacuum. I filled it with water and placed it in a bucket on the floor. I was going to put a towel over it, should have because some glass flew up and out still.

So I post my critical lapse in better judgement as a caution/warning to those who want to try out a glass chamber. PLEASE DON'T. Even if it does hold for a few rounds who knows what kind of internal stress is forming in the glass. One day when it decides to give way you could be standing next to it and after what I witnessed this morning being about 10 feet away, you do not want to be next to it when it goes.

Be safe folks, and listen to that little voice in the back of your head, and if you ignore him don't ignore your buddy who is echoing the voices same concerns.

The walls on the vase were about 0.25" thick and it did not last but about 10 seconds under vacuum. I barely had time to get away from it.

2013-09-29+07.10.09.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Flat sided chambers have low structural integrity. Ever notice bell jars are dome shaped and pretty thick? The dome will support a lot of pressure on it so if you feel the need to play with glass avoid anything not shaped like an egg.

Justturnin

Flat sided chambers have low structural integrity. Ever notice bell jars are dome shaped and pretty thick? The dome will support a lot of pressure on it so if you feel the need to play with glass avoid anything not shaped like an egg.

The need has come and gone. What I saw yesterday was enough for me. :frown:

Justturnin

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt. That box of wood that say peach looks familiar.I think it was grown in Oklahoma. :) Be careful my friend.
David

HA!! Yes sir, that is the peach you sent. It smells amazing when cutting. I got several cross cut stoppers out of it too. Cant wait to turn some.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Not going to say it....ITYS!:)

I am really glad you were not hurt and took some of the advice given! This is why you will not find ANY glass in my shop. Sure, I would use a glass bell jar made for vacuum and have been known to use mason jars in the past with success. The problem for me, even if it withstands the vacuum, accidents happen and a glass chamber hitting the floor will make one heck of a dangerous mess to clean up with all the glass shards mixed in with the resin.

Justturnin

Chris, Chris, Chris

Hope you can still use the lid on the original chamber.

Ray

I know I know. Lid is still good. I made something that sat on top of the bomb and then put my old lid on it.

Not going to say it....ITYS!:)

I am really glad you were not hurt and took some of the advice given! This is why you will not find ANY glass in my shop. Sure, I would use a glass bell jar made for vacuum and have been known to use mason jars in the past with success. The problem for me, even if it withstands the vacuum, accidents happen and a glass chamber hitting the floor will make one heck of a dangerous mess to clean up with all the glass shards mixed in with the resin.

This is what happens when you want to be in the shop but instead you are hanging out w/ your 4 year old at HL buying "crafts" :tongue:

Top Bottom