Getting set up in Stabilization.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1JaredSchmidt

What do I need to get set up for stabilize wood? I have a whole bunch of maple burl that needs to be stabilized. What does it cost and where do you get the stuff. Does anyone here want to get me set up in it? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

The general concensus that I've seen around here is:

1) If you just need to add a little extra to the wood, the Miniwax Wood Hardener is easy.

2) If the wood needs a bit more. Soaking in a plexi solution might work.

3) If the wood needs major help, send it to the professionals. AKA it cost a lot of money for the stuff to do it right.

Dan_F

Jared---Do a search for stabilization. It seems to take it to the level of the pros costs thousands, not hundreds. Some pretty sophisticated equipment is used to really get the stabilizer all the way through the wood, and some of the stuff has pretty toxic vapors, so there are safety issues as well. You will also find that those who do have the knowledge guard it well.

Dan

Modelmaker

Jared, if you are ever in the Northern Chicago area, you are more than welcome to stop by and I can show a casting set-up. I'm not too familiar with the stabilization but I think it's not too different than the WW idea.

Kris

Rifleman1776

Jared a search for old discussions here (not easy, I know) will bring up many ideas on this subject. Many use glass pickle jars and makeshift vacuum pumps for their own solutions. Personally, the idea of using glass jars for vacuum or pressure seems risky to me. I believe pressure cookers are ideal. Others say that is dangerous. A popular solution is simply scraps of plexiglas dissolved in acetone. I have never done it, these ideas come from others. Let us know what you decide.

Edit: the vacuum pump can be very expensive. Check auctions and wherever for less costly ones.

The most expensive part could be the vacuum pump. If you find a cheap pump then you may be able to get away with just a little more than the cost of the pump.

Do you have a HF pressure pot for pressure casting already?

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

No,but I want to buy one. Someone said they could get a pressure pot set up for me for about $50. Do you know who that was?[?][?]

I think I ran a calculation, of the cost for someone to assemble their own P-pot from a list of priced parts, that was right at $50 plus applicable sales taxes. Of course, over the lifetime of this site several people have posted the information...

HOWEVER, that setup price was dependant on getting the HF P-pot at the $39.99 price point, and the quick release air fittings for the $1.50 sales price.

1JaredSchmidt

Thanks Eric. If I make the plexiglass solution how do I soak the wood with it and how do I make a mold? I bought some of that minwax wood hardener and I got my first Woodturning Design Magazine and they have an article in there on how to make the Phoenix Pens. They use Minwax to harden it. I have about 100 pen blanks that need stabilizing and I really don't feel like spending $100-$200 to get them stabilized. Any ideas??[?][?]:D

Jarheaded

I have had very good success using the Minwax Wood Hardener. I take a clean 1 gallon paint can and put the blanks in it. Then I pour the Wood Hardener over them, enough to cover them about 1 1/2" or more. They will float at first. Sometimes I will drill a 5mm hole through the blanks to help the penetration. I then put the paint can into my pressure pot with a wooden cover over the top of the can. I bring the pressure up around 80# and let it sit for 4-5 days. I take the whole thing outside and release the pressure. Once I have it opened up, I use pliers to pull the blanks out of the paint can(they should all have sunk) and place them on a piece of cardboard for a couple of days to dry. It has been working well for me and I have done over 100 blanks. I made my last pot for about $50, it is easy if you follow Steves directions. Good luck.

Top Bottom