Fumes from Alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I got a small box of Alumilite to play with this morning, and I was curious as to whether or not it fumes out like PR does. I DO NOT plan on casting indoors, which means I gotta wait for a warm day. I also have 2 molds to try out (THANK YOU, Reddwil) so maybe I can get 7 or 8 good blanks out of it. Any advice to ease the learning curve would be appreciated. Also, isn't it compatible with the same mica powder used with PR? It's clear stuff. I know there's probably a tutorial somewhere, but I don't have a ton of free time as we're about to head out and I really just need a couple of questions answered for the most part. Thank you in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

Alumilite does not have a strong smell like PR, and yes it is compatible with Mica powders.

Curtis (Mesquiteman) posted some videos a few weeks ago on you tube that you should watch - search here on the site or on you tube for them.

You will really need a pressure pot. I gave it a try without pressure, and it wasn't pretty - no way to get rid of the bubbles. I borrowed a pressure pot from a friend to finish up what I bought.

Drstrangefart

I think If I can get the table vibrating I should be in good shape on the bubbles. I could be wrong, but I don't have a pressure system of any sort. And no real money to spend on one. I'll dig up videos. That's a good idea.

kenspens

i second what dennis said you should definatly have a pressure pot and use as high a pressure as possibble within the working manufacturers guidlines of course!!!
i personaly cast at 70 psi and have fantastic results!! the first time i cast alumalite it was at 40 psi and i had bubbles left in my blanks after going to 70psi the problem is solved!!
hope this helps

ken brown
kens exotic pen artistry

toolcrazy

If you go to their site you will find that Alumilite is certified to be used indoors. I have done some casting in my dining room without a problem. Fumes are almost nonexistent.

Texatdurango

I think If I can get the table vibrating I should be in good shape on the bubbles. I could be wrong, but I don't have a pressure system of any sort. And no real money to spend on one. I'll dig up videos. That's a good idea.
That would be an accurate observation!:tongue:

Bubbles in polyester resin isn't the same beast as bubbles in Alumilite, not by a long shot.

With polyester resin you have time on your side and vibrating a mold would indeed work but when you have just a few minutes to work with, jiggling a mold around in hopes of the bubbles going away are slim to none in my opinion.

With the cost of Alumilite, I would hate to see anyone waste some of it without using a pressure pot but it's your money. This is one corner that can't be cut and based on the experience of pouring quite a few gallons of the stuff, I would recommend waiting until I had the money for a pressure pot.

Texatdurango

Well, that cinches it. I'll just swap it out for PR. Pressure pot won't be in the near future for me. Thank you for the feedback!
Not trying to put a damper on your excitement, just relaying some experiences. There may very well be one out there who has made some pen blanks from alumilite without using a pressure pot, I've just never heard of anyone doing it... bubble free.

FYI....... I have a Harbor Freight pressure pot that works just fine and if memory serves, was around $40 or $50 a few years ago with one of their coupons and doubt it has changed much since then.

Drstrangefart

Well, that cinches it. I'll just swap it out for PR. Pressure pot won't be in the near future for me. Thank you for the feedback!
Not trying to put a damper on your excitement, just relaying some experiences. There may very well be one out there who has made some pen blanks from alumilite without using a pressure pot, I've just never heard of anyone doing it... bubble free.

FYI....... I have a Harbor Freight pressure pot that works just fine and if memory serves, was around $40 or $50 a few years ago with one of their coupons and doubt it has changed much since then.

[/QUOTE]Seriously?

Your going to miss out on a lot of fun.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't have the money needed for a pressure pot setup and there's no air compressor floating around my workshop, either. I'm okay with it. The PR isn't gonna look very different from clear Alumilite as it is. I'm just glad I asked first while we can still exchange it. I'll just do my casting with PR. It was only a 16 ounce box. Not a HUGE bite in the junk.

Top Bottom