Foil questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joey-Nieves

I want to learn, so I can teach my padowan, how to make and cast foil pens.
My first 2 questions;

• Where can I buy the foil that has the diamond pattern, like the ones that some of you use to make
  • does anyone know where I can find a tutorial.
I did a search and haven't been able to find this information, I would like to start with placing a decal on the foil like Mark's Captain America Blank,
Thanks Joey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joey-Nieves

I am not sure if Mark buys it already embossed or whether he is doing the embossing of the pattern himself.

Good Luck!

Well I've seen other artisans and they have what seems to be the same pattern, but the stickers does not.
That pattern is nice but I would like to have a source with several styles and options.
My helper/student/BFF is legally blind, although if the light is low she can see, draw and turn, smaller details are not visible to her, for example she can turn a pen but she can't apply CA because she can't see the shiny surface, she can polish and find small defects better the anybody, but she has limitations (that she won't let them slow her down).
The thing is, the penturning bug bit her and she wants to learn to make acrylic pen blanks, I know how the worthless wood type, solid and mixed colors but the artist in her wants to do more.
The Idea is to make blanks with emblems and symbols allusive to local culture.
Any help will be appreciated
Joey

reddwil

hey Joey, I use the Ace Hardware store brand foil tape. It has great adhesion and is thick enough to take good detail. I don't think you will find tape already embossed, I bought a metal embossing kit from Hoppy Lobby. Its made by walnut Hollow. It comes with multiple rollers and tips to make designs. Another good tool for making rivets is a pattern transfer wheel used in sewing. You can get them at wally world for a couple bucks. glad to hear about your padawon and her passion. Have fun with it.

Brian G

For diamond patterns, I use a threaded rod or bolt and roll it across the diagonal. You can roll the etched patterns using nail sets, spring punches, ratchet wrench handles, and other tooling that had etching on handles. I used a meat tenderizer mallet a few times. The head of a carriage bolt can be used for a hammered look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom