Fixing a Silicone Mold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I mis-measured one of the blanks I used when I was making a silicone mold out of Mold Max 30. It came out a bit too long. Anyone know if I can put in a new blank cut to the right size and fill in the gap with more Mold Max? Will it stick to the old?

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

You could probably fill the gap with silicone caulk (100%) and be fine. The worse thing that would happen is the caulk 'plug' doesn't adhere to the mold. In which case you would just pop in the 'plug' before each pour.

People have posted that you can patch a torn silicone mold with silicone caulk, although I have never tried it. I do have a torn mold, so I probably should give it a shot.

Curly

Yes you can IF you haven't touched any part of the mould with anything else especially your fingertips. The Mold Max 30 won't stick to itself if there are oils etc., on the surface. Is it just a case of the resin on the ends being a bit too long after casting or are the nipples too short to seat properly in the tubes? You might want to see if your mould can make a different pen and just make a new one for the pen you wanted.

sbell111

... Is it just a case of the resin on the ends being a bit too long after casting or are the nipples too short to seat properly in the tubes?
It might be helpful to know what kind of mold we are talking about: tube-in, block, single blank, etc.

vtgaryw

The problem is that the plugs are just a hair too short. If I could glue a very short (like .10" extension onto them that would be all I would need.

Gary

Jim Burr

Banned
Sorry I found this late...clear silicone is what the manufacturers usually recommend...same stuff you might use in a shower or sink. Worked well for me in the past.
I did learn from the guys that make them...using the molds on a regular basis slows break down. don't know why and didn't ask.

Top Bottom