First try with PR color casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I've sucessfully clear cast, but I wanted to try color casting. I went two color, PR, no pressure pot, and PVC for molds.

First PR cast.jpg

Green base color is Castin' Craft dye, with spring green Pearl-ex mixed in. Yellow base color is Castin' Craft yellow dye, with bright gold Pearl-ex mixed in. I bought a sample pack of Pearl-ex on sale, so I have plenty for experimenting.

I took notes, but I doubt I'll be able to replicate this color combination. Instead of drops of dye, it mostly drizzled out. I think the PR resin might be on the old side. I bought it almost a year ago on sale as part of a kit at a woodworking supply store, so who knows how old it really is. In my zero experience, I waited 20 minutes after 4 drops per oz. of catalyst. I think I could have waited a minute or two longer. My swirl wire didn't have enough twists, and I didn't want to risk stirring them together.

Round two is below.

2nd PR cast.jpg

I think you might get where I'm trying to go: Green and Gold, versus Purple and White. I'm gonna place them side-by-side and let them duke it out. :devil:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
If it was Silver & Black...you'd be on a roll! Looks fine, wait until you turn them for the final verdict.

CrimsonKeel

You could get a few disposable pipets for your dye. makes it a lot easier to get individual drops of consistant size.
and great now I have to make some honolulu blue and silver blanks on my next pour

Brian G

I think they came out okay.

Front view of "Purple Pride" on a Chrome Long Click, "GreenNGold" on a Le Roi Elegant click Long Barrel, and "Purple Pride" on a Le Roi Elegant click Long Barrel. The other "GreenNGold" was supposed to fit on a Gold Long Click, but I fumbled, it hit the cement floor, and it cracked on the end. :mad:

CastSet1.jpg

Back view:

CastSet2.jpg

I need to work on my swirling technique, and maybe pour a thinner stream so that I don't have the large areas of color. I didn't notice any bubbles, so that is good.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed. :)

BSea

I think your swirls are fine. And your color separation is outstanding. If there is one thing I'd do is to switch the colors to the other hand when you pour so the colors are distributed a little better. For example: If the purple is in your right hand, and the white is in your left. About 1/3 of the way, switch the colors to the opposite hand, and continue pouring. then do it again after about 2/3 of the way. Also, rotate a little to get the colors all the way around the blank. It's easier said than done. But I think those are very good. :good:

Brian G

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate the suggestions and compliments. I'll put them to use casting the gallon of PR that just showed up. :biggrin: No doubt it's fresher than what I used previously, so I think my learning curve is still on the steep upslope.

Last edited:

BSea

Brian G;1707075 I think my learning curve is still on the steep upslope.[/QUOTE said:
What I can tell you is that it isn't like riding a bicycle. In the past I've had a few breaks of over a month. It takes a pour or two to get back where I feel confident again. There really is a "feel" you get when pouring PR.

Top Bottom